Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

O.T., But the reverse designs of the Jefferson nickel.....

changes for the Lewis & Clark anniversary...... look like they were drawn by amateurs!! ANOTHER in the long line of uninspiring designs out of the U.S. Mint!! imageimage

link

(something about going from a "substantial" obverse portrait to wimpy, fine-line designs a la the PA state quarter reverse, etc that makes it look like a cheap nothing in my mind!)

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    Well......it is a boat of sorts. That's about the only positive thing I can think of..image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The new nickel designs is are worse than even the Georgia quarter. Who could have approved such unimaginative designs? They are wretched.
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be fun to counterstamp them all with some kind of parody?
    Think what they would have done in the previous centuries.
  • Options
    You mean these aren't a parody? Well, now I am confused... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I get on the link is the homepage of some radio news station, but none of the story links I saw led to anything about nickels?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The page has changed Lord M...... the nickle was the featured story earlier.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    A real SHAME!! Aren't there any imaginative designers out there in the Lightside anymore? Did all the truly great designs die out with the Walking Liberty, Indian Cent, Peace & Morgan dollars, Buffalo Nickel, etc - - to the point that the only pretty designs coming out these days are when they are REUSED (like the Silver Am Eagle or the "Buffalo" set)??????? Most of the moderns in the US, unfortunately, are CR*P!! I understand the need to mint billions of coins, and the supposed sacrifice that means to intricacy of design at such high speeds, but would it be so bad to make high-relief "masterpieces" and let wear & tear do their thing? Sure would make finding a high-relief coin out of circulation a bigger "find" as a result, and maybe even revive the interest in collecting!

Shame is, the newspaper article I also read this morning seems to imply that the Mint thinks those 2 lousy designs will "spark revived interest in collecting for the nickel as the State Quarters program did earlier". They're missing the big picture on that, however..... First, we're only talking 2 designs here for the span of a year, right? So, once people collect 1 of each from each mint, etc, there's nothing more for 99% of the collectors to look forward to or collect after that (except the revisd nickel design the next year). NOTHING like a 10-year process for the quarter! And, after seeing the designs, I doubt many who don't immediately drop out again will be turned-on and remain collectors solely based on that!!

Solely my opinion (but from one who has George Bush's ear any time of the day or night!!! image )
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Here's the direct link: Nickel Coin Being Readied for Change

<< <i>The reverse designs of the Jefferson nickel ... changes for the Lewis & Clark anniversary...... look like they were drawn by amateurs!! ANOTHER in the long line of uninspiring designs out of the U.S. Mint!! >>

And this surprises you how? image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image