Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

German East Africa : Superb 1890 Rupie. GEM!

Krause list THIS COIN at $200.00 in UNC. Only because the seller does have a full 7 day return policy I took a chance on it even with the crappy pictures. I am keeping my fingers crossed for when it arrives. Will post images when it arrives.
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to sign up for this generous giveaway!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • For what it's worth my experience with that seller was consistently good.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    If you don't like it, I will join in the request for entry into the giveawayimage
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Lately I've followed links to e-bay coins you guys have purchased (like this one) but when I get there, there is no picture-are they removing them? I've had this experience more than once lately...image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Here's another for you to snipe.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Oh my! Help me!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Laurent - Both pictures of the German East Africa Rupee show for me.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. I dunno.. that is a lousy pic.
    Not trying to scare you, but from my experience a lot of these DOA rupies are either scrubbed (wire brush) or dipped and can still show pretty decent detail. I can't really say from the ebay pic if yours was, the cross and shoulder guards are nice, so just a general warning. Here's an (even lousier) pic of my brutalized later model rupie:

imageimage
  • brutalized?????? I don't see it?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Hey!! image If you guys are getting into GEA, you're getting personal!! imageimage

It is a lousy pic, but best I can tell it appears Unc. with a nice strike. The epaulet on his left shoulder and the attachment device for the visor strap on his helmet often strike up weakly. The 1 Rupie is the best example of GEA to acquire for a type set. This one was issued by the German East Africa Company; later on they'd be issued by the Reich itself, changing only the reverse design.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin..congrats. I like the tone and color. It looks original

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For what it's worth my experience with that seller was consistently good. >>

I've had the exact opposite experience. Both times I tried I got coins that were way overgraded and damaged, even though the seller claimed they were not damaged before I bid. At least I got a refund.
    Obscurum per obscurius