Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Jester's Challenge #166

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

Inspired by many others here on the Darkside forum, I'd like to present what I hope will turn into a great learning experience for all of us. Many members on this World and Ancient Coin Forum have done a formidable job of sharing with us many fascinating and historically important coins. Since looking at coins is also one of my greatest pleasures, I'd like to try to follow in that time-honored tradition and submit for your pleasure and entertainment some world coins I've come across in my short lifetime.

I will pick out a coin on a regular basis, and post it along with the challenge to you to name the coin, its provenance, denomination, metallic content, mintage, any distinguishing characteristics or noteworthy features, and its value. The more information, the better. I'd like as many people as possible to participate, regardless of how little knowledge you might have on the subject. I appreciate comments on every aspect of the coin, including its history, or its role in human history, or info on similar coins in its series, etc. I myself don't presume to know 1/1000 of what you collectively know, hence my challenge to all of you to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Hopefully this exercise will encourage thought, discussion, and most importantly, more friendship.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Here is the one hundred sixty-sixth selection:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Now Jester, explain to me how that's a darkside coin, not that it matters.

I know some US issues were made to circulate in foreign countries. Is this one of them?

We ARE watching you.

• No, this a a liteside coin that circulated in the US.

It is a 'no-arrows' dime composed of 90% silver and 10% copper. It was minted in New Orleans (the 'O' mint mark). I do not know the mintage amounts.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Mintage 40,000. Key date. Combined pop of less than 50 by NGC and PCGS. Estimated total surviving pop of 200-300 coins.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    1860-O? I guess that qualifies as darkside 'cause it circulated in the Confederacy. imageimageimage
    I suppose you're right, Newsman! This one circulated in Poland too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose you're right, Newsman! This one circulated in Poland too.

imageimageimage >>

Probably carried there by some Confederate refugee. I saw a pretty impressive collection of Confederate paper money when I was in Brazil a couple of months ago in the hands of a guy whose ancestors fled the South after the Civil War. image
    I guess the people flow went both ways. After the war, the Yankees, under the guise of the Freedman's Bureau (and Reconstruction) depopulated the South and resettled (those that weren't killed) many Rebels to distant lands like the Dakotas and Montana and other areas in the great plains (ever wonder why they still speak with a Southern accent out there, and drive around with Confederate flags in their trucks?). And they advertised in Europe to find people, and gave away the vacated properties to immigrants. This is all courtesy of Congressional Records.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A large number of Southerners emigrated to Brazil rather than submit to the Yankee yoke. Their descendants still celebrate their heritage.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a pretty impressive collection of Confederate paper money when I was in Brazil a couple of months ago in the hands of a guy whose ancestors fled the South after the Civil War. >>

image that explains your failure to deliver something I've asked you image

Did you at least offer to help him get rid of his junk ? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Even though it isn't darkside I would like to have one of those little jems.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3