Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Medal Cases

Well, I just sent off the check to Bill Harvey for the two cases imaged below. These aren't any tacky light-weight setup either...each unit weighs 42 pounds. It was a nice surprise to find out that when he opened the drawers they were not lined in the standard green felt but were instead lined with a super thick, cushy, black felt. This will be perfect for the Goetz medals. With 36 square feet of open drawer surface area I should have enough room to collect for a while before they are filled up.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I like those, can you provide an address and cost.
  • Options
    Beauties! I've bookmarked his site Cacheman; as soon as the safe is decided on (my wife says yes image ) I'll know the dimensions. Just exceptional looking work. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Having beautiful displays like those is half the battle!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Nice cases!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I had looked at several other places where the average cost was $750 per cabinet with doors added...the problem was that they were 1/4 the size of these and there was no way my medal collection would come anywhere close to fitting in it. The other unit had custom routed circular holders in each tray and that wasn't going to cut it either.

I have to warn you that the enclosed cases like these two are no longer available except for what he might have in stock. The old guy he had doing the these finished cases has retired....he does, however, have a lot of "architectural" drawer cases (intended for built-ins primarily) though.

He cut me some slack with my purchase of both units. $300 each which is good when considering that the total would get me only one large medal image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the diet pepsi can..it give scale.

When looking at things like this, what is the preferred lining in terms of preservation? In other words, is the black felt a non-reactive material? Are there any materials sometimes used, but that should be avoided? Do you add a dessicant to the drawers? Do you keep everything in capsules (or even, gasp!, slabs)? Are any woods or other materials to be avoided?

I ask because I have seen a piece of furniture over here that basically looks like your two cases stacked on top of each other. I'm not sure my little treasures really need such a nice home, but, maybe so! If I do get something nice like this I want to make sure I don't have to worry about the cabinet causing problems.

Those are very nice!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh.

I thought you said mental cases.

Never mind.

(Nice cabinets, though. That would be the oldtimey term for 'em, I believe.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link and email address that will give you some info regarding conservation properties of wood, varnish, etc.. In my case, I have bronze medals and I am not particularly worried about the same concerns as you with the silver..even then, it has to be better than a cardboard box and tupperware that I'm using now.

Nichols

Richard Mole Richardswoodwork@aol.com (this guy will send you color pictures showing his cabinets...they are very nice and cheaper than the English examples at Nichols).

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Quite nice!!! They'd make an excellent present for my next birthday, so maybe I should save the link for my wife! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link: the cases look very nice and considering the prices of old coin cabinets in recent auctions,I'd say you've got a very good deal. However,I'd like to remind to whoever's considering using such cabinets,that it's extremely important for the trays to have holes under each coin/medal ; it makes the difference between good cabinets and good-looking cabinets.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3