Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Colin Cooke's comments

....regarding grading coins on eBay:

(it's almost a month old; I thought it was intersting.My apologies if it has already been mentioned )

"I agree with all the comments so far posted on this topic. Recently, we were "taken" for almost £20,000 by one seller who you all know well on eBay because he is always selling big, flashy, expensive coins (that he doesn't actually have, incidentally, but merely borrows them). The coin was allegedly FDC with no faults or blemishes and had been off the market for many years. The photograph on eBay was too small to see if it really was FDC, so we e-mailed for reassurances about the grade and got positive replies each time. It took a month after our cheque cleared to get the coin. It was badly marked and scratched and with two large edge knocks. Furthermore, it turned out it was the same coin that had been sold in a Spink auction only 3 months earlier (described correctly as only EF, scratches etc) and we had been the underbidders but dropped out at £12,500. We contacted the eBay seller, who told us that he did not give refunds. It took another month or more for us to "persuade" him to return our money.
Moral..... be extremely careful who you buy from on eBay. Furthermore, if it is hammered gold, be even more careful. In our experience, around 80% of ALL hammered gold coins we see or get offered, turn out to be either removed from a mount, pierced and plugged, or gilded, or re-engraved. Be very, very careful. If in doubt, we would be happy to advise."

I wonder how he "persuaded" him image
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    The art of persuasion must be a carefully honed skill. Congrats to him for being able to get his money back.

I agree that ebay provides a secure avenue for millions of cheats to take advantage of unsuspecting people. Caveat Emptor.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that story.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The art of persuasion must be a carefully honed skill >>

Are you a persuader too Brother J? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Just remember: You can get more out of people with a kind word and a gun that with a kind word alone. image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3