Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Adventures in Madrid

I just returned from my latest coin adventure: Madrid!

For those who have not been there, definitely put it on "The List". Madrid has a vibrant coin scene, including at least a dozen coin shops and a few auction houses. The most important stop on the trip is Plaza Mayor, a commercial site with a huge outdoor center courtyard. There are about ten coin and stamp shops located at Plaza Mayor, plus a few more within a two minute walk. Some restaurants and bars as well. Best of all, there's a coin show every Sunday in the courtyard. Some of the stores open on Sunday, so coin show attendees can also visit the shops. It's really a fun scene.

My best "scores" - all rare Spanish proofs and patterns - came from the Cayon auction. Cayon is one of the big names in Spanish numismatics, and they are a pleasure to deal with. Interestingly, the auction also contained a run of US commems, mostly of miserable quality. I couldn't buy a single one of them. The nicest quality coin was a bright white 65+ Texas. Amazingly, it brought over $300!

I was also lucky enough to find myself staying at a hotel right next door to the Casa de la Moneda coin museum. It's by far the largest coin museum I've ever visited. They have some wild things, of course. Most notable was the array of original dies. In the hour and a half I was there, I didn't see another visitor. Sad. Then again, I was there mid week. It must be busier on the weekend.

Anyway, that's it for now. Let me know when you're ready to go. I can PM you some restaurant tips!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I was there and in Sevilla in the early 70's, beautiful place.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed your coin adventures in Madrid and found some nice ones. I've never been to Spain, but am dying to visit some day to practice my
    Spanish and see the beautiful countryside, and of course the coins shops image

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Spain is a great place to visit, although I've never been there on coin business. Thanks for the report, Mr. DPOTD winner!!! I'm glad your visit was fruitful.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Madrid is a great coin place, I was there in 2002 and really enjoyed the vast offer of nice world coinage. However, I did not buy a lot because of my high requirements to the grade and eye appeal - though I did pick up some very nice pieces from Mexico and Morocco.

Barcelona also has about 40 coin shops. I spent there one day this spring, managed to visit 14 coin shops (1/3 of the total), out of which 10 were open. I made some purchases in 3 of them. Some very good pieces, too.

BTW hello everyone, I'm back from my trip to Italy. I hope everything's fine with you all image

I'll resume my weekly coins soon.
    Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual
  • Options
    Good to see you back Severo.....
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com