Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

TOO Many Darkside Coins?

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted you all to know that I won 3 bulk lots of coins at London Coin Auctions at the weekend. I'll be picking them up (on a forklift) on Sunday at the Midland Coin Fair in Birmingham.

1. 26KG Mixed World
2. 30KG Mixed World
3. Quantity 972 World

At average shilling size we could be talking 10,000 coins so if anyone has countries or not-too-specific requirements help me out with a big PM list.

I'll probably get back to you next summer when I've got to F for France. image

Lloyd

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Lloyd, you can have too much of a lot of things, but I'm not sure you can have too many world coins! If you feel overwhelmed by the task, Jester and I will be glad to help on a pro-rata basis of course.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    you'll have to bring your own forklift... image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    What a problem that I would love to have!!! You can't have too much money, too much fun or too many coinsimage
    Shep
  • Options
    Think I'll train the kids to list them on Ebay...
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You have me curious... just how do you go about processing this many coins? I have this image of a soldier sitting next to a mountain of 'taters, peeling late into the night, night after night, except it's you with a lens and a light and your mountain of coins, checking strike, luster, et al. How do you break them up, how do you ascertain value, how do you package them-what's the process?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Laurent
    Start by sorting into countries. Then skim off all current coins and convert to cash. Use cash at pub and when resobered start at the interesting countries and remove all silver. If it's silver and can't be sold alone because of damage or just plain common this goes into the melt box. When melt box is just heavy enough convert to cash and revisit pub.

No grading unless something is found to be rare (ish). You may chuck this into a "rare" box for later analysis.

And you go on and on and on and .........

L

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, Lloyd, Laurent is right about my dedication to helping you lighten that heavy load....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Oh and a Krause manual is used. That's why we sort into country first.

• Options
    I can fly to London for free, I think the airlines allow up to two bags at 50 pounds each as checked luggage.... image