Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

VTS - East India Company

.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    These 1874 are distinguished from the 1862s in type by different ornamentation on Vics bust (lower panel) and the initial 'V' at the base. They are also sized to different diameters, although miniscule. Anyone with a Krause handy can further elaborate.

Also, have had the luxury of seeing 15-20 of each of these dates side by side, the copper used on the 1874s appears to have a much more fiery lustre than the 1862s. Different copper sources or varied alloys?? Does anyone know where the Brits may have sourced the copper for these coins?

Also, this semi gothic design is technically in the 'Empire' coinage class, I believe.

imageimage

• Here's mine. image

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
    Ooooooh, yeah! Nice Nappy exile piece. image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Mac, you're right that the 1862 is Empire rather than East India Co. but seeing that it was the swansong year of the Co., I wanted to include it too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    Nice swansong.... image
    Bill

09/07/2006