Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

UK 1868 Half Penny

I saw one sale on eBay but it was low grade.
What grade would you give this one and how much do you think it would fetch?
Please forgive the pictures. Toooo much lighting I think!
Thank you

Comments

• Real hard to judge the coin by the pictures..

Spink prices the coin in VF at £10, EF at £55, and £225 in UNC
  • Hi
    I collect these things and I can tell you that the spark is to get them in UNC. It is almost impossible to say how much you would get for a middle grade one without letting it go on Ebay at $1 no reserve. This is really because the VF and EF prices are functions of the UNC estimate. If you found a few collectors who didn't get out much you could wreck the above book values. I did it myself with this very date around 6 months ago. GVF 1868 1/2d almost black - fetched £62 or around $100+. If I had listed it a week earlier or a week later I may have only got $25.

Lloyd
  • By the way, as previously stated it's hard to grade from any scans let alone these. If you got good pics and put it on Ebay saying "1868 Victoria Halfpenny - Really Nice Grade" and go from there to "see images" you would probably draw a small crowd.

Lloyd
  • Thank you rhound1977 and Lloyd. When I put it on eBay, should I get a closeup of some part of the coin to help someone thinking about bidding on it?(Lighthouse, boat or the head, something like that.)
  • No need for closeups - there are no varieties - but the better the pics the better the bids normally.

L
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Coin looks VF to me, but the pictures are tricky. There's too much wear to call it EF.

While the market for top grade British material has exploded, especially for halfpennies, pennies, shillings, florins, halfcrowns and crowns, it has not proportionally done so for VFs except when the coin in question is an extremely scarce or rare date.

For example, if you have a 1095 florin in VF, a scarce but not rare coin, the market value currently exceeds catalogue, while a 1916 florin in VF attracts little interest at catalogue value.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.