Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tips for Scanning Coins...

Looking for some data about scanning coins I found that old , but nice link. Together with last link from Web site "Coin Temple", hope it help me to make my first scans, and may be will usefull for somebody else here...imageLink
N. N.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for yet another link, linkman image

I think it's time for you to purchase the pride of the Darkside. A coin that no Darksider can live without,
    a superb design that withstood the test of time:

Make sure to buy it in gem BU (starve for a week if needed)
    and beware of recent forgeries

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Thanks for nice scans SYRACUSIAN! As for the first one I still hope to swap it with some English collector, sometimes by swaping with somebody from abroad you could get very interesting coins, that are spread in the swaper's country, but sometimes, not so spread in usual coins markets... My main stream still coins with ships, boats, anchors and so on. Hope in future to send some scans and to ask some help for ID...
    N. N.
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Thanks! That is good to know
  • Options
    Dimitri - How can you speak so clearly with your tongue so far in your cheek?
    (I wonder if that is only an American idiom)
    Shep
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Tip #1: Buy a digital camera
    Tip #2: Set the white balance
    Tip #3: Practice practice practice
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for another useful link, Nickolai!

Dimitri, I like your advice too!

And nwcs, I hope one day to be able to use yours.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    >And nwcs, I hope one day to be able to use yours

Sure, stop on by anytime... but call first. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm talking about your advice...image, and it'll have to wait until I get my own camera. In the meantime, however, and next time I'm in Tennessee, I'll have to drop by....after calling.image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have a run of the mill scanner, but it does a pretty decent job. As I have posted before, placing the coin on top of an airtite cap and tilting it a little bit really brings out the detail without too much of a loss of focus. Here is an example of a scanned penny. I think it's almost as good as a digipic:

And here is a link to a huge picture of the same coin.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.