Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Medals

Quick Question- does anyone know of a standard reference for medals (like Krause, etc.). I've become interested in 19th century and early 20th century European medals, but really need to know more about it.

Thanks!!
Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    As far as I know just about every medal reference is specialized. There may be some regional ones like you are looking for, but I'd imagine the broader the scope the less precise the reference becomes. There are a lot of medals out there!

[Sorry I can't be of more help image ]
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    You aren't going to find a standard reference for medals. The best you could do (and this is not always true) is narow it down to a country and time period. If successful there, it is unlikely the book will be in English but rather in the language from the country of origin. The best you could do then is to look for past auction catalogs (there are many out there) from some of the larger world medal auction houses. Good luck. S
  • Options
    The closest I know to a general reference on medals is L. Forrer's 8 volume opus on engravers and the medals they produced. Published about 1912 by Spinks I think. Here is the name of the set, "Biographical Dictionary of Medallists". I know it's illustrated and covers medallists from at least the 18th century until about 1908. A friend of mine, now sadly gone, used to help me out by looking up the truly oddball pieces in "Forrer". Costs about $500-600 for a complete set when you can find it. While it's on my book collecting list the associated funds have not yet materialized to assist... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Thanks all. I had a feeling it would be difficult to locate a "complete" refrence work. I'll look into your suggestions.

Thanks!

• Options
    " The closest I know to a general reference on medals is L. Forrer's 8 volume opus on engravers and the medals they produced. Published about 1912 by Spinks I think. Here is the name of the set, "Biographical Dictionary of Medallists". I know it's illustrated and covers medallists from at least the 18th century until about 1908. A friend of mine, now sadly gone, used to help me out by looking up the truly oddball pieces in "Forrer". Costs about $500-600 for a complete set when you can find it. While it's on my book collecting list the associated funds have not yet materialized to assist"

Elverno, my Numi book dealer has been able to locate this cloth reprint 8 Volume set (nearly 5000 pages) for $425 and I'm kicking around the possibility of picking it up. It would be a nice addition to my library but I don't know if I can justify the expense. I just don't know how much I would use it...of course, I guess I could become the forums medal "answer man". Anyway, these sets have been reprinted so they aren't as rare as previously thought. S
  • Options
    I'm negotiating with a friend of mine to pick his copy up for about the same price or a little less. He's gone off in another direction completely from medals and doesn't need it any more. I should hear back from him soon (I made an offer after no one wanted it on eBay).

-----------
    Just got back from negotiating it for $375 postpaid. I had thought this guy had died image because the website I hosted for him stopped getting updated and then I noticed Baldwin's was selling it! But he's an antiques dealer and often sells off his collections he said after the thrill of collecting died away. The good news is he's alive image and giving me a deal on his books. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Baldwins huh? Is that in California? I had a link somewhere where this site was I think. A funky webpage with an image of the store that kinda looked like a pawn shop...is this the same Baldwin's? Since you're getting the set then you can be the answer man...I'm going to apply my money towards two matching, and much needed, coin/medal cabinets instead. Let us know when the books arrive cause I'm already formulating questions for you...
  • Options
    Sounds good. Though remember the books end about 1908; fine for me but not great for lots of stuff, including a lot of Goetz I would guess.

Nope, this is that English firm called Baldwin's. For some reason they run their website out of Singapore and hold auctions in New York and London. Go figure...

Where are you getting your coin cabinets? I'm trying to find someone that I could get custom work done that would fit the new safe I'm currently saving for. It won't be as nice as setting it out where it can be seen but the fires here in SoCal got us all nervous. I'd rather work with someone who makes cabinets already, rather than educate someone. My current cabinets are fine but aren't going to work in a safe. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    FYI- just ran across an interesting (if simple) web site that features late 19th cent./early 20th century artists known for their medal and numismatic work. Gives minimal but good information about many artists, so at least one gets an idea of the "names" to be on the lookout for. Also has sample images of their work.

www.finemedals.com

• Options
    Someone provided this website a couple weeks ago and this is where I have ordered my "Drawer Cases" Home-museum. Although Bill, the owner, doesn't list mahogany he will have custom made pieces done for you in that material or any other (walnut, cherry, etc.). In your case Vern you could probably get by with an architectural case since you can't see anything in the safe except for the front anyway. I was lucky, he found stashed away two, 12 drawer, oak cases that I am going to purchase. Since I need these for my bronze Goetz pieces I am not worried about gases and the like that would normally need to be considered with silver and gold. Bill appears to have knowledge about the needed archival qualities too. Both cases combined will give me 36 square feet of storage/display area.

Bill Harvey is very easy to work with and he works with collectors who have a tendancy to be anal, so he's used to our quirks. Email him with you needs and he'll get you set up. Tell him Scott sent you (no, I get nothing except the satisfaction that I did the guy a good turn as he did for me). S
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Unfortunately, it's true that there is no such useful reference. I did post a list of good online reference sites in a thread a couple weeks ago or so that you might search for.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image