Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can a Roman coin expert tell me

what value, if any, these things have?

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• I can not help with you question but..........

I sure like that one in the center..image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Not that I can claim to know anything about Roman coins, but #2 and #3 do not look Roman to me. There is something about the portrait on the one in the middle that makes it look "not-so-Roman" in my eyes. The coin on the right looks like an Indo-Greek piece of some sort, perhaps Indian.

The first coin could be a late Roman coin from the 3rd to 4th cent. AD. Most of these coins are common, but then some are not. I can't see the difference, however!

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • The first two are Roman, the third is from Roman Egypt (260s-280s). Neither has much value in this grade, I'm afraid.

Automan
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • actually, if i'm not mistaken, the second roman is a better emperor-- looks like Julian The Apostate who ruled 360-63. In Christian-Era Rome, he was one of the last emperors, maybe THE last, to try and return Rome to the pagan tradition. His coins do look different, because unlike other 4th century Roman rulers, he had a distinctive beard.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I had a hunch it wasn't worth much. Thanks for the input folks.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.