Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two-headed eagle Masonic medal...

Of the Napoleonic era of course... image

Here's a link with the finished page on my website. There are larger photos there if you click on the obverse and reverse.

Oops, the link should work now...image
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    Not exactly a popular thread but, oh well... image The first piece is from 1806, though actually struck in 1812.
    This next one is also from Paris, this time from 1808:

Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Do 5804, 5806, and 5808 represent years? And if so, in what calendar?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    From what I understand the Masons have several different dating systems. But the 'common' one simply adds 4,000 years to the current Gregorian one. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I like them alot! image

I really like the style of the eagle. The link does not work for me though image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Interesting that they used another dating system. Do you know why exactly 4000 years had to be added? I can't really think of any big event that long ago that could explain it.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Link didn't work here, either. Is the site down?

Nice photos and lovely medals.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that they used another dating system. Do you know why exactly 4000 years had to be added? I can't really think of any big event that long ago that could explain it. >>

Isn't that when they believed creation to have taken place?? I dunno.. just my WAG.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice medals, by the way image
  • Options
    Nope the only problem with the link before was the person putting in the link... image
    I fixed it in the first post.

I think that the 4,000 years is based on either the beginning of the world (at least in the Bible) or possibly the building of Solomon's Temple. It was common until the twentieth century to use this dating system on the medals as well as documents used in Lodge. Now days the Gregorian date seems to be used instead but I could be wrong on that.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    They call it the begining of our era...Elverno is correct it includes the Old testament of the Bible. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb ole girl and they don't think I should know these things...image
    If you give up your rights, in order to maintain your freedom. You will most likely end up losing both!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Saw a couple on e-bay last week although not nearly as nice as yours imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Were they Napoleonic era Laurent? They're darn tough to find. These were part of a small collection that a dealer picked up about twenty-five years ago and held onto because he liked them.

I tempted him with money... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very lovely pieces!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image