Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British help...

Saw this while surfing the Bay...

Neat whatever it is.

Never saw anything like it before. What is it?

Thanks,

Gene
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I"ve never seen that before but it's way cool! It looks like bullion, and similar to Spanish cobs. But I don't know anything specific about it. Weight till the heavyweights like Askari check in.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Neat! First one I've seen! Maybe a captured Spanish ingot but I don't see any sign of a possible original stamp to verify it.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Tbirde that it was likely captured silver, and I suspect it was melted and poured into those ingots so as to disguise the source, before being brought to the mint. Why it didn't make it to the mint, however, is unknown to me. I'm speculating, but it makes sense that if silver was captured, it would have been "coined" as soon as possible to show new ownership.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased several items from him including the Nepoleon Medals that I have posted. He is on the up and up and would gladly answer questions.
  • Options
    it is not a coin, and way out of my league.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Hello all!
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't missed this item, but I was gone by the time this was posted. I don't know much about them, but they have a different name that escapes me. Ingot was actually easier to transport than coins (and could be used as ship's ballast). In fact, often bulk silver would be shipped home in ingot form for the homeland mint's use. Coins were also a novelty in many lands.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Askari ... I think he has another one up that has different markings .... ah, here it is

Currently at $25.

I'm not bidding just curious.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Hmm, not as nice as the first one ... I wonder how many he has? Thanks for the tip!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image