Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mystery purchase

I purchased a coin at a flea market this weekend but I am having trouble identifying the country/region/territory of origin. I think it might be some kind of German Thaler, but I'm not positive, hence why I kindly ask for help ID'ing this. Here is a detailed description.

The coin is made of silver and is 40mm in diameter.

Obverse - Has a hefty female figure, facing right with "colonial curled" hair and a clasp on the shoulder. The lettering goes like this:
Left side: "R.IMP.HU.BO.REG" Right side: "M.THERESIA.D.G"

Reverse - Has a double headed eagle with tongues sticking out, one facing left one facing right. The eagle looks like one of those older German type eagles. Above the two heads is a large capped crown. Below the necks of the eagle heads are two smaller capped crowns resting on top of a crest.
Crest: In the upper right side of the crest is a standing lion, center top of crest is another crown resting on another small crest which has very fine vertical bars above and below a thick horizontal bar. Top left quardant are four horizontal bars, with very fine vertical bars between them. Lower left quardant has three bars slanting down and right which have fine dots on them and between the large bars are very fine horizontal bars. Left half of lower right quadrant has fine dots while right half has two solid bars slanting down and left. Above, below and between these solid bars are very fine vertical bars.

Edge - ornamented, having the words "IUSTITIA ET CLEMENTIA"

Thank you for any and all helpimage

Edited to say: The coin appears to be in EF45, possibly AU50 condition.
Mark

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a Maria Theresa Thaler, but that is the most reproduced coin in history. So it could have been minted in 1780, or anytime after that until today. If you can post a picture of it, someone will be able to more properly ID it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a Maria Theresa taler from Austria. Those were so popular that millions were restruck (outside of Austria) up until recently for use in the mideast & africa.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Thanks to all, the ebay link Trozau put up is exactly what my coin looks like. I only shelled out €5 for it so not a large setback.
    Do all the restrikes have lettered edges?
    Mark
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I believe so. Here's more info on the Maria Theresa Thaler
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    It's what is known as a Maria Theresia Thaler. They were originally struck by Austria and portray the empress who reigned 1740-80. The coin was used as an unofficial trade dollar in Africa and the Near East and nearly a billion were restruck with the same date by many world mints well into the later 20th century.
    The Maria Theresia thaler, which in the 19th century was quite simply the thaler of the Levant, vied especially with the Spanish peso as a coin of trade and was in widespread use throughout south-eastern Europe, present-day Turkey, the Arabian Peninsula and large parts of Africa. In Greece, for example, it was taken out of circulaion only in 1882.
    Instrumental in the spread of the Maria Theresia thaler was the coffee trade. In Ethiopia it was in circulation by the end of the 18th century and was the official currency from the beginning of the 19th century to 1936, when the country was occupied by Italy. The Maria Theresia thaler continued to be struck even laterinues to produce small series of the coin.
    It contains about 3/4 of an ounce of silver and may be worth about $5-$6 if uncirculated. You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, pricing and more info. Check here for differences in originals and restrikes: MTT
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    On the link tbirde56 sent, I compared the Arabesques and Saltire to that graphic...the arabesques on my coin look most like the Vienna pre-1900 and the saltire like the 1830. I'm sure that is nowhere near a comprehensive listing, but with what I've been able to find its as close a match I can make.
    Mark