Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Australian Gold Lunar series and recent gold prices

So,

I have started, for the wife and son, getting the aussie lunar series (I have the silvers for him and me, and doing the gold for her and him....that keeps her off my back when I get other coins image ).

Anyway, since I just started with them a few months ago, I have bought the Dragon, Horse, and Monkey. (she wanted the dragon, his birthyear is the horse, and mine is the monkey). I know the dragon was sold out quickly and I paid a pretty premium over gold spot price for it. I also paid ~$10-$20 premiums for the horse/monkey.

Now, what I am wondering is if it is worth buying the rest at the current gold price, or should i try to gamble and wait for gold to maybe go down one of these days and try to buy the others then?

I envy those that bought when gold was $250/oz!!!! Almost like 2 for 1 for today's prices.

Are others in this dilemma? I believe the total was only 30,000 for any of them, so I am a little worried that if I wait, then the premium will be even higher, but, I am also thinking that not a large number of people collect the series (which could make it harder for me to sell them if we ever do....so, from the "investment" side of things, I am only counting on them being worth gold spot prices down the road image ).

What do people think? What are other people doing?

Thanks!

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• I go for the Proof Silver in this Series. Only 2,500 minted each of the 1 ounce.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I have only seen 1 seller at a coin show with all the gold issues from the start to the current with more than 1 set in his inventory. All years except for the dragon was at the normal bullion price. Tough call on where the price of gold will go from this point but most gold bugs will tell you that it will go higher from here with some dips every now and then but eventually continuing its climb. Try to catch a dip if a good one comes. I was tempted to do the series myself but I was late and catching up at this point is too much sudden outlay of funds for me. Good luck. image It is a good series that is limited to 12.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouzau,

That is my current thought...to try to catch on the dips (if I can figure out a dip other than me for waiting so long image ).
    I have yet to see any of my dealers at the local coin shows in the Seattle area have any of these gold issues (even when I see the "bullion" shows).

I also like the fact it is a limited series....12 and done.

For the silver proofs, if I could have gotten in on them sooner and thought I could have gotten them all without paying WAY above spot, then I would have liked them. But, I have a feeling if I tried to get them now, then it would cost me a lot and I probably couldn't get them all anyway.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• If you need the silver proofs check out the BST board. Sorry if this is improper.

Tom

what the hell silver dragon proof
    Only because it was asked for.image
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    What's improper is not linking it. imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)