Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any Storage Solution Ideas for PSA Graded Cards?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but not new to collecting. I'm fortunate enough to currently have the #17 1961 Topps Baseball set on the registry.

I'm interested in hearing about how others have solved the storage problem for their graded cards.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone knows of a supplier for a "Vault Box". I store each card in one of the Ultra Graded Card Sleeves to help protect them from scuffs and scratches. These sleeves are a bit oversized and so the cards won't fit in the standard black storage boxes that PSA sells.

I did a bit of searching on line and found something called a Vault Box... but the problem with it is that it is a bit too narrow to accomodate the card holder in one of the Ultra sleeves. So, I'd like to find a box with a lid (Vault Box)... that is about 3 3/4 to 4 inches wide, about 6 inches tall, and 15 or more inches deep.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    Tom
    You could try a 3200 count box with only the middle divider in. That will give you two rows 3 3/4 X 5 5/8 X 13 1/2. I do not have any of the Ultra sleeves to try.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Tom,

I keep my cards in sleeves in the Super Vault Boxes and they fit fine.

John
  • Options
    I just started keeping my graded cards in Ultra-Pro graded card storage pages that fit in 3-ring binders. Each page holds 4 cards (GAI graded, but PSA will fit as well). It is kind of pricey, with each page costing $2.40 and the 5inch 3ring binders costing about 20 dollars each at Office Depot, but it does allow me to easily view my collection and not put in cards in storage boxes where they sometimes become "out of sight, out of mind".
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    grillo> I wonder what a setup like that would cost which would hold my 72T set.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MIKE - At 4 cards to a page (and a thick page it is) you would need a binder thats 30 feet high and you would need 3 other people to help you carry it image ...jay
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    grilloj39,

There is another company that makes four pocket sheets that go in 3-ring binders--can actually put in 4-cards in each side. I have a ton of extra sheets now that I store my cards a different way.

My recollection is that they cost around 50 cents per page. There is a compamy near where I live that sells them. If you or anyone else is interested I will check name.

Jim
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, welcome to the forum, Tom. I am new on it myself. This is an excellent post because I also have been wondering the same thing about storage of my PSA graded cards and how best to do it.

To all, Tom is a very knowledgeable and a 'great person to deal with' kind of collector. He can add a lot of valuable information to the forum, especially on his beloved 1961 Topps Baseball. He and I have had some recent dealings. Super guy!

Now, I did not know that there were UltraPro graded card pages available. How do you find them to buy them? To put a whole set in pages for $2.40 each would be very pricey, but maybe worth it for the ease in accessibility and viewing pleasure. Anyone else have any experience with these pages? How many binders would a set fill? I imagine it could get quite bulky.

I, too, am very interested in the best way to store and have easy access to my ever-growing graded card collection. Any other ideas would be great to hear too.

What about the storage boxes from PSA? I have not tried them or bought any of them yet, but I was wondering if that is an option.

Look forward to seeing more information on this subject.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    The compan'y name is Vario--they are a German company--as I recall they had a website and I was able to find a local distributor. I believe they may focus on stamp storage.

It is not made for psa holders but the holders can fit snugly 4 to a page on each side so if you had a 96-card set-you would need 12 pages and it would run you about $6.

I bought in large quantity so the price could be a bit higher for smaller orders but I recall it being about 50 cents a page.

If you live in nj or near, I will sell you mine cheap.

Jim
  • Options
    All... Thanks to all for the great ideas so far!

John (Basilone)... Where do you purchase your "Super Vault Boxes"? What are the inside dimensions?

Marty... The 3200 count box dimensions sound like they would work. Do you have a source for ordering?

Don... Yes, I have tried the black storage boxes from PSA and they work well IF you don't use any sort of sleeve on the PSA holder. The boxes look nice, store the cards securely and I believe hold somewhere around 60 cards. You have to call PSA to order them since they don't have online ordering for supplies yet. (888-469-2646) I've seen the Ultra pages on http://www.beckett.com/estore for a box of 10 @ $39.00.

grilloj39... I do like the fact that the Ultra pages display the cards so well and make them so accessible, but the cost and extra space required for an entire large set in pages would be a negative for me.

Keep those great ideas coming!
    Tom
  • Options
    The large 5" thick binders will hold 10 of the Ultra Pro graded card pages, enough for 40 cards. Not very practical for a 500 card set, but makes a nice album for selected cards. Ultra Pro pages in album

Richard
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>John (Basilone)... Where do you purchase your "Super Vault Boxes"? What are the inside dimensions? >>

Tom,

The company isBCW Supplies. The Super Vault boxes are probably similar to your vault boxes if you bought them from BCW except they are a bit taller (so the top of the slab does not stick out) and have a lid.

There are a number of collectors who use them here and none have had a problem...so Im not sure why your slabs dont fit. The fit is snug. Im sure they can answer any question that you have.

John
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    LateBloomer,
    I use the PSA black boxes with "perfect fit" baggies. The Ultra Pro baggies are indeed too wide. For more info on the perfect fit baggies, check out this thread.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    The large binders will hold about 10-12 Vario pages or 80-96 cards.
  • Options
    I keep my Red Man sets in my safe deposit box at the bank. My other cards are stored at home in cardboard Bankers Boxes, which are available at any office supply store for about $10 each. They hold about 200 graded cards and are really sturdy.

I scan my favorite cards and have the copies laminated at an office suppy store. The cards look great that way, and I keep these in a binder to look at, and show off to my friends who rarely care, and to my wife and daughters who have no idea how much of their inheritance is tied up in sportscards.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Will the Ultra-Pro binder pages fit SGC holders as well?

The SGC holders are much larger (taller wider and thicker) than PSA and GAI holders.
  • Options

Welcome Tom,

I've been using Marty's 3200 count box idea for years. Remove the center of the box. about 90 cards with ultras will fit. On the sides add another 7-8 cards in the corners and some bubble wrap in the center, will keep everything from movement.. You can fit about 120 cards per box. I buy the boxes at a local dealer. He orders in lots for me. I change the box about every 6 months, in order to move the card into a different position. At $3.00/4.00 a box fairly cheap. My 61 set fits into 5 boxes.

I like the Banker box idea RGOLD mentioned and will check that box out.

John/mx'er

<< <i>Will the Ultra-Pro binder pages fit SGC holders as well?

The SGC holders are much larger (taller wider and thicker) than PSA and GAI holders. >>

I don't have any SGC holders to try, but I would say no. They make a different page for Beckett holders, but as far as I know, not for SGC holders.

Richard
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    My son's soccer coach is the CFO for Ultra pro, we were just talking about this today. They make pages that fit psa and beckett holders, but not SGC and not non-standard size psa. It sounded like if there is sufficient demand for any product they don't already make he would consider developing it. Any suggestions for him?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Antnex,
    to repeat our chat...Tall-boy Graded Card Bags.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    yes,
    a screw-down with arrow head corners.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>LateBloomer,
    I use the PSA black boxes with "perfect fit" baggies. The Ultra Pro baggies are indeed too wide. For more info on the perfect fit baggies, check out this thread.

Joe >>

Joe, Thanks for the lead on the Perfect fit baggies.... I will be contacting your supplier to try them out!!!

RGOLD... I have some boxes that I use store tax records in that are about 9x12x2. On the outside they are labeled "Bankers Box" ????? These are great for storing papers but I don't see how graded cards could be stored in this box. Obviously "Bankers Box" is a generic term! Can you describe your boxes a bit for me and give me the dimensions? Do they have lids?

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    The Bankers Boxes are made by a company called Fellowes. They are 24" long and 11" wide. Two rows of graded cards fit perfectly. The boxes have tie down lids which are convenient.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    No, the boxes are white with black print...search for LIBERTY at the web site you linked, and they should be there.
  • Options
    Im familiar with bankers boxes that are fairly short.

Do you mean you put the cards sideways in them or vertically?

My sets are small enough that I can use a solid box and creativity (except for the Topps Giants that are oversized), but Im curious for new methods as well.