Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

$5.00 Registry Set Trials and Tribulations

I am new to Collectors Universe, just finished my first registry set of certified coinage. I had trouble entering one certification number and after several days just noticed the reasons for my trouble. The 1999-W Stk w/Unfinished PR Dies coin that I tried to register has an error in the heading (states Eagle - instead of 1999-W) and an error in the coin certification # (states E9939.69/21310752 - instead of the normal E99940.69/XXXXXXXX) does this discrepancy (PCGS error of an error) make the coin worth more than the regular normal Stk w/Unfinished PR Dies. O' by the way I used another 1999-W from another partial set I have to register my very first set with PCGS. Thanks for any input. Jim
Jim Chandler

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey JimC,

Welcome to the boards.

I think you are correct--the reason the coin doesn't fit is because it is an error. If there is a set with varieties, it would go there. I'm not a gold collector, so I am not sure on the added value.

Someone should know.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    JimC,

Welcome! I have the same initials JC. Of a matter of fact I' also Jim C.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Hi JinC,

Welcome aboard.

The coin number 9939 is for the standard 1999 $5 GAE. If the coin is actually an MS error with the "W" on the obverse then I would have to think it was just a labeling error and PCGS should fix it.

I do know that if you submit the MS 99-W error for grading at PCGS using the number from the regular "coin lookup" that they don't mention the error on the slab.

You have to submit the coin as an error (costs $30.00 vs $12.00) in order to have the label say "Strk w/Unfinished Pr Die."

I tried your coin # 21310752 and it goes in okay but it shows as the plain old 1999. A phone call to PCGS should do the trick.

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    image The coin is graded as an error 1999-W - is a 1999-W but when it was Slabbed the insert card shows the labeling upper left corner Eagle instead of 1999-W and the bottom coding and bar label has the beginning number of the 1999 Eagle instead of the E99940.69/. Since I have the coin graded and it is what it is I do not want to resubmit to PCGS just to have the TYPO error corrected but I would like to use this coin in registering a second set when it is complete. PS I have purchased some of my first set coins from you :cool
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

Call customer service. If it is a mechanical error, they will fix it free of charge.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Hi Jim,

Good to hear from you again.

PCGS won't change the grade in this cases like this. If that is one of your concerns? It's simply a label error. Like Tony mentioned, there shouldn't even be a charge for the service. The PCGS customer service is usually very good about these things and a phone call should answer any questions about how to fix it. It's the only way I know of that you will be able to ever register the coin correctly in the future.

I used to moan and groan whenever I sold a coin but now it's almost as much fun as the hunt!image

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage