Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It's Red Friday in the Mercs - passing signal on (sorry Marc)

After a long dry spell, I finally picked up a merc for my set today. It's a 1917-D in 64 non-FB, and it's a great-looking coin. Well-struck, with just a touch of light gold toning.

Also picked up a '43-S Walker in 65, a '53 Franklin in PR65CAM, and a 1902-S $5 in 63. All in all, a very good day. imageimageimage

These are my first attempts at photographing these coins. No sunshine today, so they're not the greatest.

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

Congrats!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Awesome, Jim. Congrats! image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim

Nice score. By the way, I really like the pictures you have taken of your coins. Seems as though you can capture the luster. Nice !

Ken
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Jim
    And that walker is a good find.Al
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

Kinda sneaky, yup very sneaky on a scale of 1-10 I'd say 9 on the sneak scale imageimage

But congrat's nice coin and yup nice attempt at photo - and yup I agree nice capture of the luster - really nice imageimage

Marc
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jim,

Congratulations on the nice addition and I agree, nice photos! imageimage

Hey Marc, it's not considered sneaking when you post passing signals! image

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Nice photos, especially on the Merc and the gold. Sweet dime!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally I could see the obverse of the Merc. Very nice and the Die Crack is way cool.

Ken
  • Options
    Wayne, OK it only partially sneaky beacuse Jim posted his hand signals on Fri @ 5:30ish in the afternoon knowing dang well I don't stand a chance to resist the pass with such short noticeimageimage

Marc
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc,

Any sneakiness was entirely unintentional. image I took the day off work to go to the coin show, didn't get home until late in the afternoon, and really wanted to enter the '17-D for Red Friday. The level of activity in the top 10 Registry sets has dropped off over the past year, as we get closer to completing our sets, and the coins become scarcer and more expensive. It won't take much for you to regain your position, but I've got to warn you (and Wayne) that I've got my eye on a couple of Mercs in upcoming auctions. image I'm also booking a trip to the FUN show later today, so I hope to fill in some more gaps in January. That '16-D is going to be tough on my checkbook, if I go for a 64 or better. Saw a nice PCGS XF40 yesterday, and was tempted, but the price was a bit steep for the grade, and I'd like to keep the entire set in 64+.

If I win any coins in auctions, I'll be able to give notice a week in advance of entering them in my set. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    just kidding Jim - not to worry - please take witha grain of salt .... I'll try to give a longer notice too imageimage

Jim, funny I have the same thoughts in mind - but as you noted some of these Mercs are getting quite pricey - I wonder what is in store - hopefully they will not get into stupid money territory before I can complete some semblence of a set together.

Marc
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Uh-oh! I guess it is time to quit upgrading and add a couple of new dimes before I'm left in the dust!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com