Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS can't recognize an SMS!?

This struck thru Kennedy was PCGS graded MS when I know for a fact that it's an SMS. I don't think it makes much difference when it comes to pricing the coin, but I want the coin's history noted properly. I have three other SMS Kennedy's with identical surfaces SMS67+. Do you think they would grade them MS? image

Comments

• Options
    mechanical errors do happen ~ I have a 1964D MS63 in a 1964 MS63 holder

send it back with a copy of the submission form and an explanation
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm trying to get a hold of them before they ship it back to me.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it makes much difference when it comes to pricing the coin, but I want the coin's history noted properly. >>

In the case of this coin, no. But at higher grades, (MS66, MS67), the difference is enormous.

PCGS seems to have a major problem with the 1965 to 1967 coinage in determining the difference between business strikes and SMS. I have a hunch they're pretty lost in this area. Considering the large mintages of the business strikes, compared to the tiny populations in higher grades, my guess is there are a lot holdered as SMS that really aren't.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have three other SMS Kennedy's with identical surfaces SMS67+. Do you think they would grade them MS? >>

If they did, you'd be in fat city. image

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file