Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

0% Excellent Peeps - New (Weird) Kennedy Finds

What do you think of these BUSINESS strikes?

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Prooflike.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice polish job!image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I actually thought prooflike before I saw the bottom pics. Pretty coolimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The 1970 is sometimes known to come prooflike as a business strike, but in going through over 1400 1964 business strikes, I've never seen any that looked anything like that one.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the proof-like surfaces from a great strike or poor strike (worn dies)?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    The strikes on both coins is definitely nice. Here's a picture of the edge of a proof compared to the edge on the 64 - Proof left, 64 right.

• Options
    Why are you sure they are business strikes?
  • Options
    the 70D is a no brainer - look at the picture of the edges of a proof and of the 64 and see for yourself
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Does PCGS give Prooflikes to Kennedys?
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

<< <i>the 70D is a no brainer - look at the picture of the edges of a proof and of the 64 and see for yourself >>

Just making conversation.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    BTW - YOU SUCK!
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>Does PCGS give Prooflikes to Kennedys? >>

Nope. NGC does, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Frank, get rid of those Kennedys! They don't fit in with those Franklins...............Ken
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Treated with mercury? Go wash your hands just in case.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% excellent. Congrats on the finding those prooflikes Frank. Nice mirrors on those also.image
  • Options
    Very shiny. You should hop on your burro and hand them out to small children.

R.I.P. ShinyCoinBoy
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the proof-like surfaces from a great strike or poor strike (worn dies)? >>

There are several ways that moderns can acquire PL surfaces. Usually it is from a relatively
    fresh die, but not all new dies are polished enough to impart PL surfaces. Sometimes it's from
    polished or burnished planchets. The burnished coins start appearing in 1986. Many of the
    SMS dies struck PL's and some also had cameo devices. Some SMS dies were very heavily pol-
    ished also and these usually were used with polished blanks.

Coins sometimes will sometimes get shinier as the dies wear out since they effectively polish
    themselves, but such coins don't really look PL because of poor strikes and increasingly uneven
    surfaces and flow lines.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    On this piece (1964) it looks like the surface was imparted from the dies, however, there are no die polish marks - the only marks visible with a 10X loupe are metal flow lines radiating from the center out
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Frank

i've found some 1970-D Kennedy half-dollars with PL surfaces, but never one quite to the degree of yours. PL coins from the late 90's seem rather abundant. the first ones i found actually looked like branch mint proofs, comparable to mid 50's brilliant proof coins. earlier than that they seem elusive.

as you well know, the 1970-D is a rather special issue in a sense. it's the first wholly clad Kennedy and also a Mint Set only issue, so perhaps they took different measures with the early strikes, maybe even struck some coins with polished planchets or carefully prepared dies. those years from 1965-1975 hold much intrigue for me and obviously many other collectors.

since we need a good book on the topic, i suggest we get Anthony Swiatek to team up with David Lange to assist cladking in writing it-----with editorial notes from the various forum members like Don Heath and yourself!! i have no doubt that a well done and well researched book would sell out quickly. there really is no definitive source for much of what we call modern coinage and i think that's a real shame.

al h.image
  • Options
    Frank,

I for one would like to know what you were doing looking at JFK's anyway. image
  • Options
    Well - the honors of a book on the subject of silver Kennedy's would definitely have to go to Don Heath - he really knows his stuff on this subject!!! The 64 is certainly an odd duck, as I sit here looking at it, it looks every bit a proof. But, the diagnostics are all wrong, as Don has helped me explore - as such it gets shipped to NGC next week along with the 70D to see what those boys across the street have to say about them. I got a brief email from a highly placed grader over there who stated that the two pieces were definitely worth having a look at based on the pictures I sent him - so stay tuned kiddies, we may have something here. If anything we have two really well preserved pieces. I'd say gradewise, the 64 is at least MS67 material and the 70D is at least MS66. Hopefully the Gods of PL'ness will look kindly on these two pieces. image

Frank

PS - Oh and Don - in answer to your question - I can't let you and Russ have ALL the fun now can I?? image
  • Options
    A follow up to this thread since the Chattanooga show:

I took both the 64P and the 70D to the Chattanooga show and showed them to a number of dealers for their assessment. Those who didn't know a whole lot about Kennedy's proclaimed the 64P a proof immediately. Those who did know something about them, including the graders at PCI and SEGS (They do know something - they just don't apply it to their grading) immediately reached for a magnifying glass and seemed to give the piece an unusual amount of scrutiny. The result in both cases was that the 64P is not a proof - and the SEGS grader went even as far as saying that it might very well be an SMS. The PCI grader said that it was a business strike in the MS66 range. So we'll wait and see what NGC has to say about these two bad boys - stay tuned! image

Frank
  • Options
    Frank,

I'll take it for MS66 money.image I'll even pay ask! LOL
  • Options
    Frank,

If the 1964 comes back from NGC with the word "Specimen" on the holder that means it's worthless junk. But, since I'm a nice guy, I'll trade you all of the Frankies I own for it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Where did you get these coins from a bank roll, collector or what?
  • Options
    Don/Russ - your gestures of charity bring tears to my eyes.... and gas to my bowels image

Placid - Here's a typical story of what makes this hobby great.

As dumb luck would have it, I was running around Friday morning doing errands and I found myself with an hour to spare before I met my wife for lunch. I decided to drop by my local coinshop to say hi to the guys and see what was new - nothing in mind to buy. They were busy with some customers who had brought some new material to sell, so I was just minding my own business and looking at the display cases. Fifteen minutes go by and I'm bored now - so I think to myself - self, maybe they have some toned Kennedy's in their books. So I ask for the Kennedy books as one of the guys is walking by me. He brings 6 Kennedy books out and tells me to knock myself out. Great. So I start looking through the books, paying particular attention to the silver Kennedy's since they're the only ones that interest me for the toning. First book, I pick out a nice looking 68D - no toning, but nice looking. Second book nothing. Third book it has all the silver Kennedy's in it so I pay close attention. I notice that the 64 looks like a proof, but it also has a proof in the proof slot. Weird. So I take the coin out and start looking at it. It's very interesting I thought - it looks like a proof, but it doesn't - weird.

Right about this time, the dealer comes by and asks what I'm looking for. I tell him that I'm trying to see if there are any nicely toned Kennedy's - he kinda looks at me funny and brings over the "junk box" of halves, it's about half filled, and tells me - look through here I may have thrown some in here. I think to myself - great - still got half an hour to kill, so what the heck. Most of the coins in the bin are beat up Barbers and Walkers, with a bunch of mintset Kennedy cast offs. Right as I'm getting to the bottom of the bin, I see one piece that says on the flip "prooflike" and it's the 1970D - Hey - I've been looking for one of these, I'm thinking to myself. I looked at it and it looks really clean, and it does have PL surfaces so I take it out - By this time I had halfway forgotten about the 64.

I finish going through the books and I look to see what I've pulled out - 4 coins: A nice 64 with some nice toning starting on it, a nice 65, a 68 and and the 70D. As an afterthought, I picked out a nice DCAM 70S that was in the last book. It's really shiny and black and white, so it reminds me of the 64 that I had just seen and I think - what the hell - it's only a 64, so I go back to the book and I pluck it out. I show the coins to the dealer. He's going through and pricing them - he looks at the two 64's that I have, and pauses, looks at the shiny 64 again, and again - then looks at me and says - this is a business strike right? I said yeah - but now my spidey sense starts tingling. So we settle up - $35 for all five pieces including both 70's - not bad I think to myself - $7 a piece. When I get home I look at the pieces again and that's when I started to get excited about my new finds. Go figure huh?? image

Frank

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file