Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New PSA holder-- when?

Last summer after the National, people reported that Joe Orlando spoke of a new PSA holder being developed. A new holder that would be more secure and more attractive.

Most importantly: Has anyone heard an update on the holder and when it will be coming out?

In addition: What is the collective thinking about a new PSA holder and what it should look like. If they have not yet finished designing it what changes would people like to see.

I ask this because I really am beginning to have SGC's holder grow on me. I LOVE the black insert that they use.

Things I would like to see in a new holder (besides added security):
1)Add the black insert! I love it and it makes the cards look great
2)I also like how GAI's label has the card name and number on the top edge of the holder. Nice touch.
3)An inexpensive re-holder fee if we choose to re-holder some cards.

This would be a good time for Joe Orlando to comment if he wants to update the faithful (which he may not). Is this coming early next year?

Comments

• Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    All Good ideas. I'll second that recommendation.

• Options
    Added security can only mean one thing: impossibly difficult holders to break open that will lead to broken knuckles and an increase in blood pressure.

Gotta agree with you on the SGC holders. The older the card, the better it looks in one of their holders.

My only hope for the new holder is that it fits snugly against the old holders so it fits right inside a box.
    Ya know how you have to keep SGC cards separate cuz they don't fit the same?

And hey, what's up with that "first graded" notation on the Global holders?
    Who's idea was that? Is that supposed to make it "special"?
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Modern cards look better in clear holders.

Beat up vintage cards in less than VG condition look better with black holders.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    .....black holders also look nicer for oddball and odd size cards without standard holders.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Overall, I agree with mrc32, seinbigd, and interchanges. Some of my Psa holders have cracks on
    the corners. And the edges seem to cloud up. I don't like when this happens.

SGCs holder is unique and up-to-date. The custom cut out designs is not only good in theory but great
    in reality as well. In makes the holder look sturdy and displays the card boldly. I epsecially like this
    with cards that have colorful edges or some type of color/design. The cutout is precise and there is
    no gap space that is either too tight or too loose.

I think the clear holder fits well with 1962 topps football and 1971 topps baseball sets.

I do think that a new holder could cause the cost of completing sets on the registry to go up!
    It should probably be an optional thing.

aconte

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Thumbs down from me on the black inserts.
    To my eye, the smaller and less noticable the holder, the better.

Don't mess with the clean, simple design. Less is more !
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I do like the GAI idea of putting the card label on the top. Otherwise, I am happy with the PSA holder except for when they put smaller cards (C56 hockey, T206 etc) in the regular holders and the card looks awful to look at because it never sits straight.
  • Options
    I think I would tend to agree with Wolfbear. I like an unobtrusive holder where the card stands out on its own. Granted, a lot of cards do look really nice in SGC holders, and I have owned quite a few of these. But, I collect cards not holders. I have a relatively large collection of PSA graded cards (smaller than many, larger than most I would guess). I would hate to have a drastic change in the holder - especially since I have started to focus on player sets that can be more easily displayed.

BTW, have any of you ever owned an SGC graded disc (i.e. 1976 Isaly's, Buckmans, Crane, Dairy Isle, etc.)? The black insert in these looks like a 1st grader cut it out with a pair of dull scissors. image

You would think that a large and fairly reputable grading company would have been able to develop some "modern" technique to cut out a perfect circle in a piece of black cardboard rather than hacking out a rough circle!?!? When I first saw the disc, my first impression was that the card (disc) was horribly miscut. I'll take the mylar sleeve over this alternative any day.

JEB.
  • Options
    I talked to Joe O. about the idea of the insert. He told me that during crossovers, the PSA graders have found many cards damaged from hitting the insert of other companies. I am not sure how this is different from smaller cards sliding about in PSA holders. I like the top label. I like the inserts cut to size. They could use clear inserts for cards with colored borders.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The GAI holder is the same size as the PSA holder. What is nice about the holder is the black insert, the top label, and that the holder is seamless - apparently it is impossible to snap apart without leaving a crack on the holder. I would like PSA to at least go to a seamless holder.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I agree with the no radical design changes, however, I do wish they would address the issue of the cards moving around in the holders. I think a lot of the older PSA graded cards (that people think were a little overgraded) could also have dropped in quality from shifting around so much in the holder. You figure every time a card is sold and mailed it is put through massive shaking in transit.... no matter how much bubble wrap you use, some of them are just sliding all around the place.

I also like the card info on top of the holder like GAI does it.

As for the hand cut Disc holders from SGC - I'm betting that they are hand cut simply because they haven't graded enough of them yet to justify the cost. The dies that cut a perfect circle out cost several thousand dollars each, and they would have to get a special one made for each size disc out there.
    (I'm picturing the "holder guy" at SGC with a coffee can and a pencil .... tounge sticking slightly out of his mouth .... trying to trace a perfect circle).
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Jeb,

Interesting comment on the disc holders. I actually think the complete opposite. One would think
    that there has got to be a better way than using an ugly mylar sleeve and for once I'd like to see
    those cards straight in a Psa holder instead on an angle or upside down. Really bad if you ask
    me.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>...As for the hand cut Disc holders from SGC - I'm betting that they are hand cut simply because they haven't graded enough of them yet to justify the cost. The dies that cut a perfect circle out cost several thousand dollars each, and they would have to get a special one made for each size disc out there.
    (I'm picturing the "holder guy" at SGC with a coffee can and a pencil .... tounge sticking slightly out of his mouth .... trying to trace a perfect circle). >>

You can buy a very nice set of hole saws at Home Depot (or similar store) in varying sizes for about $6-$30 each. I guarantee you that I could make a nice insert with this relatively cheap method.

<< <i>Jeb,

Interesting comment on the disc holders. I actually think the complete opposite. One would think
    that there has got to be a better way than using an ugly mylar sleeve and for once I'd like to see
    those cards straight in a Psa holder instead on an angle or upside down. Really bad if you ask
    me.

aconte >>

The mylar sleeve does not allow the disc to be damaged. It is easily centered if you wish (here are a few of mine):

I think it's a much better alternative than SGC's holder that makes my Mint card look like this:

Honestly, which cards look better? I scanned all of these using the same method, no enhancement.

JEB.
  • Options
    There are 25 completed Psa graded Isaly auctions on ebay. I don't think one has a centered
    Psa Isaly card. Did you have to move your Psa graded Isaly cards to get straight or are
    they always like that? Will they stay like that?

It's just a matter of opinion that's all. Take a look at a recently completed Reggie Jackson.
    The card is butted against the edge of the holder. I actually own a few raw. If I had to
    go graded I'd honestly use Sgc. They display nicer for me. But I do appreciate your preference
    for these cards.

Enjoy!

aconte

• Options

<< <i>There are 25 completed Psa graded Isaly auctions on ebay. I don't think one has a centered
    Psa Isaly card. Did you have to move your Psa graded Isaly cards to get straight or are
    they always like that? Will they stay like that?... >>

Aconte,

You are correct. The discs do not stay this way if they are bumped around a lot, but it is easy to get them back to this position by just tapping the corners of the holder, alternating from upper left to lower right, to rotate the card into the postition that you desire. The disc can not be damaged in the PSA holder. Any PSA graded discs for sale on ebay that aren't well centered in the holders basically indicate laziness or a general lack of concern from the seller.

JEB.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I would hate to have the last submission slabbed in the old holders. Barring a major grading special (like a $5 one, which I doubt we'll see again) I think I'll hold off on large submissions until we hear if and when the new holders will be put into service, and how those holders will benefit the collector. I suspect others will be doing the same.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

I myself would like to see the bar code and serial # on the reverse if that is possible which I can't see why it wouldn't. Then you could have a centered description on the front that would make alot better display.

I do prefer the black borders, really makes the image jump. The clear you just really need to focus a touch more. Now for the black bordered cards I prefer the clear.

The inserts on the gai holder do damage cards cant argue with that they are a little tight on the borders along with cards slipping behind the insert at times. I do like the idea of having the # on the top edge really makes it alot easier to find the card instead of riflin through a stack causing more wear to the holder.

Just some opinions but could you imagine tallboys with blackborders it'd be lethal or 78 pirates.

Gator
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Any collector who is overly concerned with "the look of the holder",
    might want to consider switching to a different hobby.

"Interior Decorating" comes to mind ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>Any collector who is overly concerned with "the look of the holder",
    might want to consider switching to a different hobby.

"Interior Decorating" comes to mind ... >>

I disagree completely. I have my PSA graded T-205s displayed on 2 large shelves. I do that because I like to look at them. My point is that the look of the SGC holder is nicer to me because of the black insert. I display my cards out in the open in my office. I don't tuck them in a box. So what the holder looks like is important.

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I think the primary focus of any revised holder has to be on security. After WIWAG, how could PSA not make this their number one goal?

I love the look the black insert provides - but - I totally hate black inserts! Why in the world would I want another moving part which can rub up against my card? With the current PSA holder, the only movement is the card against the holder. With an insert, you have the card against the insert + since the insert is free to move, you have the insert against the card.

What if instead of clear plastic holders, PSA used a smoked plastic holder with a clear window for the card? This would provide the cosmetic benefits of the insert without the increased potential for card damage.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Mike,

Smoke plastic, exactly what I was thinking last night. Something could be figured out I'm sure, you cant just make black plastic? With red labels it would be pretty nice.

Wolfbear,

Totally disagree myself, your paying for a service to have you card slabbed now if psa was slabbing cards in hot pink would you still be slabbing. Cards are works of art and photography. They should be treated as such, so why not put them in the best thing you can rig up. At least put out and opinion poll or maybe they did but I never got anything in the mail! Kind of like a having a highdollar painting in a ratty frame.

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Gator, one benefit to having the serial number on the front of the holder is that you could tell if the card you won from Ebay is the exact card pictured. Bigger sellers would be much more inclined to use the same picture over and over and not tell anybody. With the serial number on front, the seller is almost forced to tell you that it is a dummy picture if he is using them.
  • Options
    Steve,

I know that would be a hassle for the buyer and seller buy hey you can always state it in your auction or ask as a buyer. Small price to pay to get that ugly bar code and number out. Also you could get rid of the mint 9 why cant it just me mt or gem mt. Why all these #"s.

Thats just what I would do yet that just me.

Gator
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to use two certification numbers. The first number would be on the front of the flip just as it is now. The second number would be a different number on the back of the flip. PSA could provide a link for a seller to input both the front AND back numbers. If the numbers match, a logo would be provided to insert in the auction indicating that the card has been verified. By doing this, fraud would be reduced because even if an unscrupulous seller tried to steal a scan with the front number, they would not have access to the number on the back of the flip. For added protection, I would make the back of the flip reflective so that if a scan of the back was necessary, the number on the back would NOT be revealed.

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.
  • Options
    I thought the Point of this post was to
    ask the most important question....

what ever happened to the New Improved
    Slab that the President of PSA himself promised
    was coming
    - directly to a group of the biggest
    and best customers PSA has?

and Why has the repeated question simply been
    ignored?

It seems that SOMEONE at PSA who sees these boards
    on a daily basis, could at least give us all an update.

imageimage
  • Options
    Matt & Mike,
    I used to smoke plastic in college. If you smoke enough of it, NM 7's start lookin' pretty sharp!

dgf
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    d-goes-frz
    just curious on your sig line?i noticed it a couple days or so ago and am wondering if that is a problem on your part or is that psa
    playing games with your 3 graded cards?
    just curious
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    straw,

Looks like an issue with my hosting site. PSA isn't too insecure about quality cards being in other holders...like a really sweet '76 Rice. Besides, PSA still gets a lot more of my money than any other company. As long as it stays that way I should be OK. How's the collection coming...anything new? Any suggestions for a new hosting site? Are you coming to Chicago? Lots o' questions...perhaps an email would be more appropriate.

dgf
  • Options
    dgf
    i have been picking my spots on ebay looking for centered 9's psa or sgc. other than the sgc 96 hunter(put that one on your tough list)
    i picked up the richard which is awesome and 6 more from joe del, garber,downing,baker,hisle,gamble and stormin gorman thomas. all
    are high quality and put this richard on your super tough list. i bin'ed about 3 minutes after he listed it sometimes you get lucky.
    enjoyimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Straw,

Noticed that, luckily I have the other Richard drinks for us!!!!!!

Gator
  • Options
    yo gator,
    were you been? you have 76's?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    thanks i was about too late. frank told me the bad news and it ruined my dayimage now dgf is going to have 2 cards that i want from himimage)

Collector Focus

• Options
    You guys have hijacked the heck out of this thread...... image
  • Options
    Straw,

Yeah pretty tough card we'll see where it goes along with the rose. As for collecting 76' s I have a few bevaqua blowin the bubble and a few yanks thats about it. I'm doin yanks from 75-81 if you have some dups. Just pickin and chosin on anything else mainly low pops.

Gator
  • Options
    Oh yeah,

Back to the thread yes it would be nice to have an answer about when and if we'll see new holdersimage

Straw,

GATOR05@CHARTER.NET
  • Options
    do you have the bubble blowing card in a psa 9 (in the new holder of course)?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Straw,

Yes the bubble blowing is in the new holder from the press today!image

Email me or head to th open forum!

Gator
  • Options
    Gator,

What do you want for one of the bubble blowing Bevacqua's?

Send me an email or a reply here if you can.

aconte
  • Options

Just a quick note:

While it's true that we have been experimenting with a new design on the holders, there is nothing set in stone yet. At the National, we merely asked some collectors and dealers what they thought about a new design, features, etc. The main purpose was the visual, not security. While we always look for new ways to improve security, that was not the focus - it had more to do with aesthetics.

Of course, we will keep the public updated but - just to squash rumors - we are not changing anything yet.

Thanks again,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President
    Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    Joe,

Thanks for putting that to bed for awhileimage

Back to our regular broadcasting.

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    The main purpose was the visual, not security. While we always look for new ways to improve security, that was not the focus - it had more to do with aesthetics

Joe, I think if you read these boards, you are aware of the concern many of us have about the security of the present holders. Unfortunately now, when I get a PSA card in the mail, the first thing I do is look at the sides of the holder to see if it has been tampered with. That's before I look at the card itself!! If WIWAG could do it, don't you think that there are other people out there messing with your holders? I do. For my part, forget aesthetics and provide a safer holder.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Mantlefan-
    Maybe his point was that new added security was a done deal and that any new holder would have better controls. I think that is the case and that he hopes that any feedback people could give would be related to what they would like to see a new holder look like.

I for one would like to see a new holder. To bad it seems like that is way off in the future if at all.

Anyway, thanks to Joe for coming on the boards to deal with it directly.

Cheers
  • Options
    Doesn't it bother anyone that the "old" holder will devalue what's inside immediately when the new holder in unveiled. I hear people say things like "Ah, that cert# begins with a zero...weaker grades..." and such gems as "I try to stay away from cards with the 'funky fonts'" and who can forget the classic "Flips with the round border" (Circa-2001, I believe). While the enlightened collector realizes how absurd these muses are, perception can be very real when it hits your wallet. I think the holder could be nicer, but it's just too late--unless PSA agrees to holder cards at no charge to the new slab--and we ALL know THAT's not happening...

...new holder champions--be careful what you wish for.

dgf
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    DGF> There are indeed people with the attitude "Ah, that cert# begins with a zero...weaker grades..." and "I try to stay away from cards with the 'funky fonts" and such.

And the more people that have these attitudes, the happier I am - for I buy the card and not the holder. I am deterred by a poor image on the card - not by the font used on PSA's insert. I am turned off by rounded corners on the card - not by round corners of the red border on the flip. I am against extra zeros at the end of the price I pay - not any extra zeros at the beginning of the cert number.

I have been to the mountaintop. . .

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Amen! Mike is that email I got from you legit? I deleted it since the subject was suspect. If it wasn't legit, your address book is working overtime. Also, I have MUCH cards for you. Time to get crackin' on those raw sets...

dgf

...by the way, my post was reflecting the decreased value of the old holders. I'm all for the goons who pass on a '62 Yaz because it starts with a zero.