Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Brit pattern collectors....

Is this reasonable for this piece (hope I don't start a bidding war on this...)

Pattern

I really like the design and if it's as nice as the pic, then it's a beautiful piece.
Cecil
Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Comments

• Options
    I hope one of the experts come on soon to make proper comments.

My opinion is it is NOT what you think it is. Of course I might be totally wrong.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    It's a modern (not minted during the actual year but much later) fantasy pattern from a private mint much like the Donald Golder modern fantasy patterns. For someone who wants it, the price would be okay.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Bummer - it's a nice looking piece, but I'd hoped it was authentic
    Cecil
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Well trozau and others can give more details but I don't think you could dream of getting that for 30 dollars.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Never hurts to dream.... imageimageimage
    Cecil
  • Options
    Of course not........image
    I do it everytime I look at one of my common world coins.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    If that is any indication of what foreign patterns can look like, I'm sold. Where do I learn about foreign patterns? Any books? Websites?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    C. Wilson Peck's Copper book covers British copper patterns from 1558 - 1958. Check with Charlie Davis or Kolbe. Get the 2nd edition from 1964 as it has the updates/errata.

As to Silver or Gold, I'll have to check. Maybe Wybrit or Lloyd knows of a definitive Pattern ref. for all Brit metals.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, MacCrimmon.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the very common Maklouf pattern I believe; nothing special imo.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It might be common, but I like the design and I don't think there are any standard issue coins with G8's portrait.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Jester
    There are currency issues of Edward VIII around for all British denominations but they are considered patterns because they were not issued for circulation - the difficulty is counting the zeros on the price tags... They are all listed in Spinks.

I don't know if the coin prompting this thread is a copy of a pattern or just a fantasy piece - whatever it's nice but it's not art and it certainly wouldn't be considered an investment.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY I HAVE FOR SALE A 1936-HONG-KONG-THINGY-DONT-KNOW-WHAT-IT-ISimage

Finally I am unaware of books that deal solely with patterns - (Coincraft has a good section) but I think it would be better to learn a little about the currency first and then work from there.

Lloyd
  • Options
    Mark just picked up THIS BOOK on UK pattern crowns.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    This is the initial design by TH Paget (sorry for the poor quality of the scan): the letter with the drawing by Paget is a most revealing document,since it throws light on the process by which the final portrait of Edward,facing to the left (at his own insistence) ,was developped from the youthful portrait on the Master Mariner medal to the more stern and mature portrait of the pattern coins.

On the back of the letter (addressed to Paget c/o Major the Hon A Hardinge at Buckingham palace,from R.A.Johnson at the Royal Mint,dated 24 April 1936),there's a note "The king will see you and Metcalf together on Tuesday next,the 28th instant ,at 3.45 pm", a drawing by Paget ,presumably done at this meeting, (of the king) with notes about shadows etc. ,together with an original portrait photograph of the king,also in profile to left,by Hugh Cecil,London.

The entire lot sold,was a group of 12 plaster models by Paget :three of the Mariner Medal (two obv. in relief,one incuse),five of various coinage heads (one in relief,four incuse) ,two halfcrowns ,golden hint reverse (one in relief,one incuse),an incuse sixpence and a George VI coinage head in relief.

I'll try to locate a gold two-pounder in my Spink auction cats that was recently sold for above 65K GBP; anyway,the design by Maklouf that's offered in the auction above,looks like a caricature to me.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Thursday 15th of November 2001,lot 669:

Edward VIII (acceded to the throne 20 January 1936,abdicated 10 December 1936),proof or pattern gold Two-pounds,1937,by T.H.Paget,bare head to left obv, rev. struck en medaille by B.Pistrucci ,St George and the dragon,mint state,a brilliant proof ex. of this extremely rare coin

REALIZED 66700 GBP

note of the cataloguer: The coins of Edward VIII are among the most famous of the entire British series.They're all extremely rare.The Royal Collection and the British Museum each have one complete set,and the Royal Mint guards another two sets and also a mixed set of brilliant proof and matt proof examples of the silver and base metal.

Over the last 25 years various single items have come to light,including a gold sov from the prof. REGibson collection and most recently a crown,both offered in Spink auctions.

This is the first time a gold Two-pounds has been offered in auction,and it is believed there is only ONE other in private hands.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, Dimitri!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture I have of the Eddie the 8th 2 Pound gold coin ...

trozau (troy ounce gold)