Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

HELP!! What is this?

Sorry, but I know nothing about this stuff.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but red x that won't even open with a right click image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Rick, thanks for visiting! You've got a nice dollar-sized coin minted in Brazil in 1814. Its denomination is 960 Reis. Many of them were struck directly over other coins (usually 8 Reales), like this coin, but I'm not sure if that's the case with yours. Yours looks very well struck. Nice piece!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yes, yours is struck over another silver dollar-sized coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, 1jester. I appreciate your help and hospitality. Rick
  • Options
    You're most welcome, Rick! Anyone of your caliber and reputation is welcome over here anytime. Please join us again soon!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Nice coin! It would be KM-307.1 in Krauses's Standard Catalog of World Coins (try a library) under Brazil. The B mintmark on the globe band indicates the Bahia mint. Value in my old '96 edition is $27.50 in F, $35 in VF and $60 in XF. It should weigh about 27 grams and would contain about .777 of an ounce of silver. As Jester noted these are usually found struck over Spanish colonial 8 reales coins. Additional value is given to coins that still show details of the original piece on it.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Thanks again, Brad and Jester. It's guys like you who make the boards great. I appreciate your help. Rick
  • Options
    I saved your second pic and played with it in PSP. I have no knowledge at all about these coins but it looked to me that something was "going on" with the A and B in STAB and the very top part of the coins center presentation.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I am not sure of all the terms.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    It is clearly struck over something else, but the design is not clear to me, as I am not familiar with Brazilian coinage.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I am not either. I could just see something that looked "different" to to me.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Rick:

Yours looks to be about XF, which would put its value at $40. All of these coins were struck over some other crown-sized piece, because at the time Napoleon was in control of Portugal and Joao VI, the prince regent, was short on cash while in exile in Brazil, so he paid people 720 reis for Spanish 8 reales and recoined them, making a nice profit for himself in the process.

There also are examples of these coined over other crowns, including one struck over an early US silver dollar.

Chuck
  • Options
    Newsman's the expert on these; I got mine as well as everything I know about them from him.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Thanks, Newsman. You guys have been great.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Rick!! We're glad to have you "over here"! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Newsman's the expert on these; I got mine as well as everything I know about them from him.

imageimageimage >>

I got a four-hour crash course on 960 reis last month when I visited the numismatic museum in Sao Paulo. image