Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1887 UK £5 gold coin pocket piece?

At less than 10% over spot gold, it might just be worth as a nice hefty pocket piece. image

eBay link
trozau (troy ounce gold)

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I always wondered why a coin like this ( or any coin for that matter) would be submitted to a TPG for authentication without getting it graded as well. In this coin's case, would a grade have helped it or hurt it?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    No Grade or low Net Grade image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone played street hockey with the obverse, but nice for a pocket piece, I think.. what exactly is a pocket piece? image
  • Options
    NCS is a consevation service of NGC. they do not grade but will "guarantee that a coin is genuine". From the discription I doubt PCGS or NGC would grade it. ANACS will but it will be a "net grade", which is an entire "nother story"

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like someone played street hockey with the obverse, but nice for a pocket piece, I think.. what exactly is a pocket piece? image >>

A pocket piece is a coin you carry around in your pocket to show people. Maybe some pocket wear would do the coin some good.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The reason for submitting it to NCS is very simple: there are tons of counterfeit Jubilee 5 pounders and he certainly didn't want a grade,or tried to get one at NGC ,but the coin did not meet the criteria.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeffone - that's Jeffrey Zarit, no?
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That's him allright; I've had nothing but positive transactions with Jeff - including my icon image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I've never purchased from Jeff and doubt I ever will. He never includes a description with his auctions, just "See Photo" or the like. Once I emailed him on a medal he had on eBay asking what the lettering on the medal stated as I could not tell for sure from his photos. His answer - "What you see is what you get" image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm