Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pocket piece experiment.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I got a non-descript silver round recently and decided to use it as a pocket piece and see how it wears. It started out a Proof-like 68 or something. After 3 days in the pocket with keys and whatever (occasional shinings on the pants or shirt to make it look pretty) I feel that it's already down to AU58, a little rub on the high spots. Also lots of nice hairlines and scratches on the fields. I will try to make periodic pictures to show the progress of wear.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    I have a $10 lib that started out as a XF that I carry around.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    A $10 lib? Are you nuts, or rich?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's both.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pocket wearing a silver eagle, got it down to a AU53 and decided I needed to use a smaller coin.
  • Options

<< <i>A $10 lib? Are you nuts, or rich? >>

most people say both.

I bought the $10 lib for $20 over spot so there is a small downside.
  • Options
    "It's good to be the king." image
    Does anyone carry a pocket piece more valuable than Mr. Steven's? Mine is a lowly 2002 SAE that would probably be BB'd for damage right now (but would probably be an AU50).
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a Slightly impared proof 1996-W Smithsonian 5$ gold at a huge discount. Reading this thread makes me wish I would have kept it and tried to pocket wear it down to a P01.image
  • Options
    I bought a 1876 CC $10 in an ANACS slab marked "cleaned". Too long ago to remember the grade. It had some light brushmarks on it. Cracked it out and carried it as a pocket piece for around a year before sending it in to PCGS. It is now in my registry set as F12.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    1891-O Morgan-- purchased some time ago in maybe VF, riding for some years in my pocket -- G ? But, it gets this beat-up shininess as the layers go down. Nice to twirl in my fingers.
    DSW
  • Options
    Mine is a 1907 barber half but it is in a ms65 slab, carry it every day, may have to have re-slabbed some day
    Michael
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Wisconsin that had been dipped. It must take forever to get that stuff off.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Carry an 1936 mercury dime now in AG-03...

Dennis
  • Options
    Don't really have a pocket piece, but I do have a 1986 $25 gold eagle I use as a ball marker when playing golf.
    I suppose that could be considered a pocket piece of sorts.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    Last year for several months I carried around an almost complete 20th century type set.
    1900 cent
    1910 cent
    1943 cent
    1900 nickel
    1913 nickel
    1941 nickel ( at the time could not fine a 1938 )
    1943 nickel
    1900 dime
    1916 dime (mercury)
    1946 dime
    1900 quarter
    1932 quarter
    1925 quarter
    1976 quarter
    1900 half
    1942 half
    1948 half
    1964 half
    1900 dollar
    1924 dollar
    1971 dollar
    1979 dollar
    These went overseas with me and came back.

Paul
    My Collection of National Notes
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I work at a nursing home and broke out my pocket pieceabout two days ago.........the old folks were having a poker game and we started to talk about coins. I rotate my pocket pieces, but this one was an 1884-O Morgan dollar. The old guy skanked it up with his greasy potato chipped hands after dinner cake eating/coffe drinking, then threw it on the table to hear her ring. gotta love the old folks when they start to tell stories.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i gotta good pocket piece experimnet proposal for yall.....everyone send me some old coins
    and i,ll keep em in my pockets for the next 10-20 years and then I,ll report back with my findings.

sound good? sounds good to me. any takers? image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    great story tsacch
    i love reading stuff like that.
  • Options
    I carry a VG 1921 Peace or Morgan, occasionally leaving it in addition to a tip when I get exceptionally good service at a restaurant. I was used to wait tables. It's great to get a special tip like that in recognition when you're really putting out. They don't seem to get much worse for wear, but then I don't usually have the same one in my pocket for more than a couple of weeks.
    Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    CC gold - great way to remove evidence of cleaning!

I want to carry a gold pocket piece as that is my area of collecting interest, and gold is so heavy it has a very different feel. Probably a $5 Lib in XF for $10-15 over spot.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>What is cc gold? >>

Carson City
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file