Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

scam with eBay - be forewarned!!!

This is to alert eBay users about a potential scam. (References to this scam may have previously appeared on the message board, but one more warning can’t hurt.)

I have received, on a couple of occasions, an email which very much appears as if it is from eBay – it includes their logo and a sender email address from “eBay Security” at eBay.com. The emails have requested confirmation of my eBay User ID, Password and Email Address.

Fortunately, I have had the presence of mind not to respond to these requests. Most recently, I forwarded a copy of the request to eBay Customer Support and received this response:

Thank you for contacting eBay's Trust and Safety Department about email solicitations that are falsely made to appear to have come from eBay.

These emails, commonly referred to as "spoof" messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal information from recipients who reply to the message or click on a link to a Web page requesting this information.

The email you reported did not originate from, nor is it endorsed by, eBay. We are very concerned about this problem and are working diligently to address the situation. We are currently investigating the source of this email to take further action. You may rest assured that your account standing has not changed and that your listings have not been affected.

Obviously, revealing your eBay User ID and Password to someone provides them access under your name is a potentially dangerous thing. Be forewarned!

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Gerry.

As a general principal, do not give any information to anyone you don't know who calls you or emails you. Not anything, not your name, address, phone number, birthday, anything! If an unsolicited appeal sounds interesting, ask for a phone number and return the call later, after you check it out. BTW, you never know who is sending you an email. Even if you know the address, it could be stolen.

Greg
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Yes.. this happened to me. I did not reply and forwarded it back to eBay for verification. They indeed said the email was not theres and that they would try and track down the culprits (which I doubt can happen).

Anyway... DO NOT REPLY TO ANY EMAIL REQUESTING SECURITY INFO from anyone.

Good thread!!

WWQ
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I get these every week. I just ignore it and forward them on to eBay.
  • Options
    anyone else having problems posting? Its sticking a bit....and sometimes it won't post correctly.
  • Options
    anyone else having problems posting? Its sticking a bit....and sometimes it won't post correctly.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    imageYeah...they caught me one morning before I had my coffee and my head on straight! The header and everything looked authentic to the "T". By the time I caught on I alerted eBay who is still supposedly looking into it but IMMEDIATELY I began changing passwords and destroying credit cards....the whole 9 yards! Thankfully I have suffered no damages, but ironically some one from this bank in Togo Lome (ECOBANK) called and tried to get me to stand as next of kin for a man bearing my surname! We're talking about $18.5 million dollrs here! My first reaction was to search ECOBANK and about 4 links doe=wn, sure enough there was this very same scam...BUT HERE'S THE CATCH- I ratted on this man to the real Bank and it seems that the head of Foreign Affairs at the Bank, the man who called me that DOES work there and an attorney must all be in on this plot to get their hands on this money as "no native of TOGO LOME may stand as next of kin!" Even the lawyer is in on it! So last night I called an old classmate of mine who just so happens to be a MAJOR Judge for thid distict in which I live flat out told me to walk away from it and report it to the FBI-which I did and ya know what...they didn't seem too interested! Man, just like THAT I could have inadvertantly /unknowingly been a part of an International money laundering scam or worse....caught up in the middle of funneling money to help terrorists! I could very well be a multi millionaire because , believe me,I CHECKED IT OUT AND IT IS VERY REAL !
  • Options
    Well...here's an update on this Ecobank scam running around!First of all "Thank God" I have a good head on my shoulders. At first I gave these people all sorts of hell! I even ratted this inside guy out to the Bank! Well..the Bank's in on it too! I played my role and was just as mean and ornery as I could be. I gave them my checking account # knowing full well that I was going to close it in a few days. At this very point even I do not have a way inside that account over the Internet as it wasn't set up that way! I kept wondering what the worst case scenario could be and took all the necessary precautions =even freezing the account so nothing could go in or come out! Well-after ratting to the Bank like a drunken ,cussing Sailor, it turns out the Administrator of the Bank is even in on it and swore and be damned that SHE forewarned me of the Scam....BULL!! They gave me a questionnaire to answer to prove I am the legal heir at which point I flat out told them that the questionnaire was BS because there is NO WAY I would know the answers even if it were my own mother's account we were talking about! GET THIS...Then, they gave me all the answers! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 18.5 REAL US DOLLARS HERE...I CHECKED OT OUT! Her's the deal...they want me to stand in as next of kin and offered me 30% to "launder" this money thru my account.Now, I was born at night -but MANY nights ago. I can see where they would sure enough put the money in then take it right out! Red flags would go up everywhere and I would be left to pay all the taxes on something I no longer have! They even provided me with an attorney...RIGHT...He's in on it too and here it comes...when I asked ,as directed, what his fees would be...$1300 just to get the ball rolling! Well I have documented EVERYTHING and have spoken to the FBI as wellas the District Judge where I reside. I feel as though I had better walk away because I could get in all sorts of trouble ...from money laundering to tax evasion to aiding and abetting God knows what...A TERRORIST GROUP! Scary stuff man! The attorney has already replied but here is where I'm going....straight to my own attorney and my friend, THE JUDGE and the FBI! This is all wrong and I feel it!
  • Options
    I WANT EVERYBODY TO KNOW THAT I HAVE TOLD THIS SO CALLED ATTORNEY/THE TWO INSIDERS AT THE BANK...I HAVE TOLD THEM THAT I HAVE NOTIFIED THE MAGISTRATE JUDGE AROUND HERE....THE FBI ETC AND THAT IF THIS IS LEGIT I HAVE MY OWN LAWYER AND WILL COME IN PERSON TO PICK UP THIS SO-CALLED INHERITANCE IN FRONT OF MY OWN ATTORNEY AND WITH HEAVILY ARMED GUARDS...THERE WILL BE NO TRANSFERRING OF FUNS ELECTRONICALLY..SHOULD I BE WALKING RIGHT INTO THE PROVERBIAL HORNET'S NEST I WANT AS MANY PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT THIS AS POSSIBLE. THE BANK NAM...THE REAL BANK'S NAME BECAUSE I CONTACTED THEM PERSONALLY/ IS ECOBANK THIS SO CALLED CONTACT THAT FIRST GOT IN TOUCH WITH ME (THI IS SO TRANSPARENT) IS STEVE DIMMA (check this out) email address stev_001@hotmail.com I even have his, the bank's and the so-called lawyer's phomne numbers etc IF SOMETHING SHOULD HAPPEN TO ME YOU WILL ALL KNOW WHY BUT ALSO KNOW THIS ....I WILL BE IN A" TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT" ALL YOU MARINES AND EX-MARINES KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN! THEY PICKED THE WRONG PERSON TO TRY TO SCAM!!