Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

ACOWA nice SMR article about the '67's

Rec'd my SMR yesterday and enjoyed the nice article by Alan Cowart & Joe Orlando on page #16 regarding the trials & tribulations of the 1967 Topps set. For a second I felt like starting that set up, nice work...jay

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Jay beat me to it - DITTO!

I read it last night as well, and as a 1967 registry member, I not only learned a few things but I also have a renewed passion. I am at 20% complete and am looking to get to 25% by year end.

Yo E (as I know you will read thris thread) - Fort?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    1420 - Speaking of '67's, did you ever receive the Nicholson PSA-8 courtesy of Donovan McNabb? ...jay
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Jay, I did. As a matter of fact we chatted about it. For those of you who do not know, Jay not only is a great guy and Quality dealer, but also someone who does not welch on a bet ... image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Nice article and a fine set, good additional info from the printed pop report.

But..... not nearly long enough. I would enjoy hearing about Alan's personal trials and tribulations with this set. Which are his top favorite cards, which ones were really the toughest to obtain ?? How did raw copies rate via submisssions ?? What is his own unique fondness for this set ?? How did he get started on 67s ?? Any conflicts or big assists from other 67 collectors ?? And so on......

I would guess most of us have a set or two which we truly like very much, and have some interesting tales related to it. The Registry have prompted some new appreciation for complete sets, and I for one, certainly welcome hearing about others' adventures in going after a good sized regular issue set. I wish this fine board would get more posts from some of the top positioned set owners, relating to one's personal experiences in collecting a particular issue.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Funny, my page 16 has an article on Mr. Hamm, otherwise known as the distraction that prevented us from winning the Women's World Cup. Over the course of my membership, I always seem to receive my SMR 2-3 weeks after other people--just another reason why I have become increasingly frustrated and disappointed with this whole game.

Neal--Still TBD for Ft.W. I'll let you know.

So Alan wrote an article, huh? I talk him nearly 3-4X a week since the National, and he never utters a syllable about it to me. Especially fascinating since 95% of our conversation revolves around the 67 set. I am looking forward to reading it!

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Why do I always get my SMR 2 weeks after everybody else??? Who is on the cover? Have they started to list 51 topps All Stars???
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't received mine yet but I look forward to reading the article. Even though I'm in the same state as PSA, I'll probably receive my copy after everyone else.
  • Options

<< <i>Who is on the cover? >>

Who Else! LeBron James!!! ...jay
  • Options
    Alan,

Your article wasn't only informative but also very well written. Do you have any background in writing? Nice job!

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Acowa...great job on the article...I enjoyed it,.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>Haven't received mine yet but I look forward to reading the article. Even though I'm in the same state as PSA, I'll probably receive my copy after everyone else. >>

All the SMR's are sent from the mailing house at the same time from the Midwest.
    It's all in the hands of the post office when you receive them.

Carol

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Carol-

Do you know who I can contact in order to change the address of my subscription.

Any help would be appreciated,

John
  • Options
    I will add to the above. That was a very interesting article, but Im sure there is still a lot of the nitty gritty interesting information about that set that just couldnt be included due to space restrictions. Id love to hear more.

Good work Alan!!
  • Options
    The workings of the USPS pass all understanding. I too received my copy today ... in Ireland. It therefore seems bizarre that some of you have to wait weeks for your copy. My sympathiesimage
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Carol
    Just for fun, will you post the date that the SMR is sent out from the midwest. I think that it would be entertaining to see the delivery pattern.
  • Options
    I haven't received mine yet. Florida is closer to the midwest than Ireland, isn't it? image

JEB.
  • Options
    Yeah--and New York City is in the middle of a desert. Keep believing that they are all mailed the same day--I'm not buying it.

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    liffeystynx - Ireland, hmmmn! Email me and I'm sure we can make a trade Email Link! ...jay
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    You guys aren't going to believe this...but I haven't read the article yet either. I've read what I wrote of course...but I am sure that there were some edits. If anyone can scan and send the article to me...my email is cowart@adelphia.net.

I decided to write it because I kept hearing how their weren't any good articles in SMR. I figured that I could write a bad article about the 1967 set just as easily as the next guy. I tried to make the article more about the set and the things that I have noticed about the set ...versus an article about me building the set. Hopefully, it has enough meat in the article so that readers learn at least one little tidbit after reading it.

In terms of some of the other questions:

<Do you have any background in writing>

I went to Georgia Tech and haven't ever studied the subject much.

<which ones were really the toughest to obtain>

I included some of this in the article ... but it might have been edited out. Most of the Red Sox and Tigers are tougher. (especially 572 Demeter, 371 Lonborg, & 465 Horton) Other than those 2 Hamilton, 3 Sims, 33 Bando, 196 Romano, and the 454 Marichal checklist comes to mind.

<How did raw copies rate via submisssions ??>

I do o.k. when submitting 1967's. I just use a 10 X loupe and check the corners carefully. That being said, most of the set was purchased already graded.

<What is his own unique fondness for this set ?? How did he get started on 67s ??>

I have always liked the Brooks Robinson card from that year...one day I saw a PSA 8 lot on Teletrade (of all places) and just went from there. If I were to start the set again...I would try to buy a large lot off of a Superior auction.

<Any conflicts or big assists from other 67 collectors ?? And so on......>

The 1967 set of collectors have been berry berry good to me. I have found that all of the people at the top of the registry support one another. In particular, Jim Merrill, Dan Markel, Mike Bow, Eric Sanders, and Steve Saldutti would be great guys to know if you're working on a 1967 set. I haven't really had any conflicts...maybe this is because my goal is not to have the highest rated 1967 set. I just sold Mike Bow 2 cards that helped him pass my set in the registry rankings. Previously, he had traded me some tough cards that I needed.

<So Alan wrote an article, huh? I talk him nearly 3-4X a week since the National, and he never utters a syllable about it to me.>

And finally to my brother from another mother...I didn't want to jinx the article being published. For all I knew...they could've filed it in the trash.

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    Alan,

Scans are on their way.

Enjoy!

Jonathan
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Alan , Great article ! Just recieved my SMR YESTERDAY ( 11-1-03) ! These are the kind of stories I really enjoy reading , and I hope the SMR continues to add more in the future ! Very informative article ! Never noticed the dot between the name and team in the first series not being there ,but later in the rest of the set ! Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Alan-

Ditto to what Robbie said...very nice article. I just received my SMR yesterday and went straight to it. One question...are those your cards that were featured?

John
  • Options
    <One question...are those your cards that were featured?>

No... I sent in examples of the variation cards to go with the article. I guess that the superstar cards are a lot sexier than seeing the back of a Bo Belinsky with a stat line removed or Paul Schaal with a green bat. I assumed that most people would enjoy seeing the variations versus the stuff you see every day.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Alan,

I agree....maybe you could feature scans of the variations on your website somewhere...it would be nice to have a visual reference tool.

John
  • Options
    I finally received my SMR today. Great job Acowa!
  • Options
    Alan,

I received my SMR today. Great job on the article. After compiling 4+ 1967 sets, you presented some variations and some details that I had never noticed. Thanks for the education!!

Jim
  • Options
    Alan, I received my SMR today, very interesting read.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Acowa,
    Altough not my cup of tea, I think you did a fine job.
    feel free to post the variation scans, i'm sure many would be interested.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Alan, Enjoyed your article very much. You certainly know your 67's!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Some of the cards that I wish had been included.

Schaal Green Bat

Gomez No Trade Line

Belinsky No Trade Line

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    SMR reaches NYC! Pony from Midwest really tired after running for 8 days straight. The article was entertaining and informative. Looking forward to reading contributions from the registry set leaders on their favorite sets in the future. Thanks Alan!

• Options
    GURU - You should write an article for the SMR. Perhaps an "undercover card collector" loose at a major card show. After all at the last Ft Washington show, you were stalking me at every turn, lord knows the dirt you could amass.image ...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

That's where you went wrong - You should have been stalking Eric instead!

It's a heck of lot of fun watching someone opening vintage packs. Have you opened any more lately Eric?

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options

I received my SMR about an hour ago! Living 50 miles out into the Atlantic is great, except when mail call comes around.

Nice article Alan, I enjoyed it very much.

mx'er

Wayne - Maybe your right. I can watch Guru open some packs and get some comp '67 gum as a bonus image ...jay
  • Options
    Boys, boys. Everyone knows there is nothing in cello packs except for cards!image

I haven't had any 67 cellos in my hands since the 3 pack splurge after national. I kind of exceeded the 1 pack per year quota (5 this year, 8 over the last 3), but hey, I'm having a birthday in December, so if my sources can locate an appropriate one, I'll get the utility knife ready!image

As far as following Jay around at shows--security detail.image Actually, any time I get to spend with Jay is "quality" time image and I am always the wiser for it. Hopefully I'll be able to get down to the Fort next month--still unable to set it in stone.

• Options
    Still dont have my SMR - hey JOE O - what is the deal on the super slow shipping???? Membership should have some advantages.
  • Options
    I just noticed the article on 67's is online and they have included the pictues of Schaal and other error variations....

1967 Article
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    to the tune of "the Giants win the pennant":

I RECEIVED MY SMR, I RECEIVED MY SMR, I RECEIVED MY SMR

now if I could only get a superior sports auction catalog prior to bids closing. you would think CU would be interested in OBTAINING BIDS. Nevertheless, I digress - thanks for the SMR - great article acowa!

Eric
  • Options
    If anyone has the '67 Schaal Green Bat variation in PSA 8 or raw NM-MT for sale, please let me know via PM or email. I'm interested in it.

Thanks!
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options

<< <i>to the tune of "the Giants win the pennant":

I RECEIVED MY SMR, I RECEIVED MY SMR, I RECEIVED MY SMR

now if I could only get a superior sports auction catalog prior to bids closing. you would think CU would be interested in OBTAINING BIDS. Nevertheless, I digress - thanks for the SMR - great article acowa!

Eric >>

Eric,

You're not too far from me (Lake Worth). I received my SMR about a week ago and Superior's catalog about 2 weeks ago.

It's a mystery! image

JEB.
  • Options
    My last SMR came 2 weeks ago and January's came today. I know that some people got last month's just a week ago. Very strange.