Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Advice Sought on early Football Set Sale

I am new to PSA & the boards here.
I collected some real nice early football sets about 15-20 years ago.
A 1952 Bowman small, 53 Bowman, 54 Bowman, 55 Topps All American, 57 Topps.
I am in the process of having the stars graded by PSA from these sets, approx. 200 cards.
Once I get the results back, can anyone give me some good advice as far as trying to find out what they are worth, a price to ask...or how to go about selling them??
I know I could stick them on ebay and get an idea that way, but is that the best road to take??
I have sold a lot of stuff on ebay, but never PSA sports cards.
I think they are going to grade out pretty well.
With the exception of the 52 Bowman's, all the sets are pack fresh or very close to it.
Would I be smarter to contact a Mintstate or Mastronet type of dealer and work out some sort of a consignment/ auction type of arrangement??
Or go some other way??
I did get some 1953 Bowman cards back last week and posted them on the registry.
I think it put me into third position on currant best set or something along those lines.
Anyway, I would appreciate any of your thoughts.
I would like to sell these sets by the end of the year.
Many thanks guys!!

Mojorob
robinson209@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    Mojorob,

If the stuff grades out psa 7 and better, i'd say your best bet is to put the stuff on ebay. mintstate posts a lot of their consignment stuff on ebay...and i'm sure the others do to. might as well cut out the middleman. If your looking for fair prices, a lot of people on the message boards would probably jump on a lot of the stuff too...and save you a lot of time and hassle. As for prices, it really depends on the day, and whether you're talking hof'ers or commons. psa 8's for that stuff will likely nab you more than whatever listed price you find. 7's are a crap shoot, and anything lower less than book. While i'm not familiar with the cost/benefit of selling sets whole/partial or fire sales, everything i've heard indicates selling everything piece by piece. but then it comes down to how much do you value your labor at....because it will be extensive. I'm interested in what others have to say. it's not everyday high quality early fifties fb shows up in quantity.

by the way, i'd be interested in your 55aa cards that are in the psa 5 or 6 range...maybe a couple of 7's but those tend to exceed my price threshold
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Mojo,
    I'm buying any '52 Bowman Smalls in psa 6 or better.
    feel free to send me a private message to discuss further.
  • Options
    IMHO Try offering the graded cards on the PSA vintage boards first, that way you don't have to pay EBAY listing and selling fees, picture fees, etc. and you could pass some of those savings along to us image Price accordingly, because it all depends on how fast you want your cards to go without giving them away. For the football card years you have, generally speaking, I've seen 8's that have sold way above SMR to slightly below SMR with 7's usually right around SMR and 5's and 6's usu. below at or below SMR for those grades. Personally speaking, unless you really need to unload your cards fast and don't have the time, I would say sell them yourself. You will make more money that way. If and when you decide to start selling on Ebay, post your cards from 8:00-10:00 pm EST Sunday through Wednesday and start the bidding at $9.99 to avoid obnoxious listing fees but do not be afraid to start the bidding so low because graded cards from those years will always get bids - you may even want to provide a head's up link for this board to the cards you have up on EBAY. From my experience, the aforementioned times seem to be the best for selling graded cards. Good Luck! Sounds like you may have a few cards I may be interested in. I will e-mail you with what I am looking for.

John

Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1