Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Internet translators

Here's why you should never use Babelfish to translate an auction listing image:

link

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a lawyer wrote it. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a lawyer wrote it. image >>

Actually, what he did was he took the description of the coin directly from the Central Bank's website and ran it through an Internet translator. Of course, he forgot to mention that you can still buy the same coin directly from the bank for about half of what he's asking. image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Without babelfish the description would not be nearly as interestingimage
    It is a tad pricey though-too bad, nice looking piece...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    You can buy them online directly from the Banco do Brasil. They cost 54 reais (about $19) plus postage. The bank will only ship to an address in Brazil, but I can arrange that for you if you really want one. image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't vouch for that Laurent: newsman already let me down once,with a wild Brazilian animal image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't vouch for that Laurent: newsman already let me down once,with a wild Brazilian animal image >>

She's still there -- all you have to do is come get her. image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    See.. that's what I don't like about all this technology... good ol fashion Engrish is much more amusing imageimage
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You offered, so talk to me image What do you need from me?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yep. I worked with internationalization of code and documentation for a couple years. Worked with translators and translation companies. Machine translation just isn't that good.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    With a face value of two thousand cruises, I would expect it to be minted of Kryptonite.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "Yep. I worked with internationalization of code and documentation for a couple years. Worked with translators and translation companies. Machine translation just isn't that good." --nwcs

That's heartening news. I make my living exploiting the differences in tongues. Well, actually I assist people in overcoming their language barriers. It's underpaid but rewarding.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    OT: Hey, Jester, congrats on 8000!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Method of cunhagem: "proof"

I only collect proof cunhagemed coins myself.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Spoon!!! That's what hanging around this forum all day will get you. You'll be there before you know it--just ask Shiroh.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    It is an interesting translation, and an interesting coin, but a bit pricy for my liking.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options

<< <i>It is an interesting translation, and an interesting coin, but a bit pricy for my liking. >>

$50 is way too high for that coin. They can be had easily for $30 or less