Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I don't think so Tim!

The seller claims this one might re-grade as a straight 9. With that centering, I think it might come back a 7!

1961 maris PSA 9 0c
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    That's the "beauty" of ebay. Any seller can say anything he wants to in his description, whether it's false advertising or not. Granted, we are all disappointed now and then with the grades we get back from PSA, but this seller must have been in complete denial for the past few years. He needs help if he thinks this should be a PSA 9. image

JEB.
  • Options
    What time period is that flip from? The first couple of years?
    Collecting Basketball Hall of Fame Signatures
  • Options

Might actually come back a 6image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it would come back an 8(OC)
  • Options
    Gem,

More than likely my guess was on a nq ballot!
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Frank, your too generous . I don't think there is any way that will come back a 7. if the rest of the card is mint , he should be happy that is's qualified. if resubmitted, probably a 8 o/c or 6
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I don't think so.

• Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    First post here, so please excuse me if I screw something up.
    My question is if I may: is it easier to sell a PSA 9 OC or a straight PSA 7 with no qualifiers??
    On ebay, which seems to be more in demand??
    I have a lot of nice football sets that I am in the process of grading.
    At the time when I bought them and put them together close to 20 years ago, centering wasn't as important as it is today.
    At that time I was more interested in getting cards that looked pack fresh and had 4 sharp corners.
    Consequently, I now have a lot of cards that would grade out PSA 8 OC.
    When I ask to have them graded with no qualifiers, the majority of them come back PSA 6.
    Is a PSA 6 with no qualifiers better than a PSA 8 OC by and large??
    Thank you in advance.
    Kirk Robinson
  • Options
    I know some people don't like this idea, but I honestly think that graded cards should have a NQ grade on the front, and on the back they should list the qualifiers like SCD, Beckett, etc. do. For example with that Maris card, they should have PSA 7 on it, and on the back under subgrades, it should explain centering, corners, surface, etc. Then we know just why a card was graded like it was instead of this "I wonder why my blazer card came back a PSA 8" crap. Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Kirk,

The answer is simple... It depends...

I'm not as familiar with how 8OC would do versus PSA 6 but I have found that for the early 60's baseball that I sell - I seem to do better with the PSA 7 than I would with a PSA 9 with a qualifer. Many collectors use PSA 7 as their cutoff. So, I rarely can get back my grading fee with a PSA 6 or lower.

Occasionally, you'll find people who prefer the qualifer because like you, they want to have the pack fresh corners. But, I think for the most part, that people are looking to build unqualified sets.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I would have gotten it reholdered first.