Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Judd-1755 pattern 1885 $10 aluminum

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cool pattern! From the King of Siam Collection!

Obverse and Reverse

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the King of Siam collection?
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a great coin and one I will never be able to buy. Thanks for the look though
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this coin was part of a complete gold proof set struck in aluminum that sold in a Bowers sale back in 1987. The auction was billed as "The King Of Siam Sale" because the famous set was included in the sale. I have never heard of a "King Of Siam Collection but the coin does appear to match the photo of lot 2259 "1885 eagle struck in aluminum" Bowers cataloged the coin as proof 64-65. Great coin Oreville!image Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    boiler: You are correct.

Heritage says this about this pattern: "2. Ex: King of Siam Sale (Bowers & Merena, 10/87), lot 2259; Auction '88 (Superior, 10/88), lot 293. This is the present example."

Well what the heck, if everyone called it the King of Siam sale why couldn't I call it the King of Siam collection? image

The description of this pattern and the number of known issues are as follows:

They are:1885 $10 Ten Dollar, Judd-1755, Pollock-1968, R.7-8, PR66 NGC. From regular issue 1885 Eagle dies, but struck in aluminum with a reeded edge. Examples of aluminum strikings are also known for the other gold denominations of this year, which were perhaps made for presentation purposes. Pollock lists only three examples of this rare die trial:

1. Ex: 1976 ANA Sale (Stack's, 8/76), lot 3693.

2. Ex: King of Siam Sale (Bowers & Merena, 10/87), lot 2259; Auction '88 (Superior, 10/88), lot 293. This is the present example.

3. Ex: Palace Collection (Sotheby's, 1954), lot 2014.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I thought the King of Siam got his coins somewhere around 1840 - I will have to watch Anna and the King again.

It would be awful futuristic to be making 1885 dated patterns in the 1840's
  • Options
    I really goofed on this one but good. image

I meant to write: From the Bowers & Merena King of Siam SALE (in October 1987). But then cutting and pasting last night I pasted the word collection from the "The Palace Collection" right underneath the word sale!!!

Thanks for all of you pointing that out to me. I guess, I'd better watch Anna and the King again too and take better notes!!!image