Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this X-rated coin really worth $1500?

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    These are quite scarce and very popular (for obvious reasons). Their original function is still largely unknown. Brothel token is always thrown out there as a possibility because of the obvious correlation. As is the gaming token idea that Malter mentions. Is it worth $1500? I guess we'll find out. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The attitude towards sex in the roman culture is decidedly different than the current culture. It was probably a temple token in my estimation. It isn't worth $1500, though.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I must say, that's one cool piece of numismatic history!!! It looks like there are two couples doing their societal duties.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Another possibility is that it was a magical charm; it certainly doesn't appear to be a coin. Can't say I'd expect anyone to offer much more than a tenth of his BIN.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not. Strikes me as a $300-$500 piece, but I've been wrong before. I know really exceptional spintriae with man and woman in bed go for $3000.00+ Obviously not the same thing, but we all know sex sells.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Wow, sure is not worth it to me!
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    It appears to be worth $41 to someone.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    $5.00 and that's my final offer.
    Looks like a really old pocket piece to me.
    Rotten Rodney
    "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental
    illness."
    Remember. ... First pillage, Then burn

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    and it's worth more to it's owner, Reserve has not been metimage
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Sorry, Civitas, but I think I called this one on the nose ... or something ...image Closed at $165.05 = "Can't say I'd expect anyone to offer much more than a tenth of his BIN." image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image