Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

From Ray (mrpaseo) coin related pictures and questions.- more Pics added

I'm looking for information about these coins, and of course worth, I'm looking to buy some of these coins (Well some like these) and I don't want to be taken for a ride.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• Check out this site to compare prices and coins. Scroll down to the Islamic coins bit.

LINK
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    JR, are you suggesting the Iraqis might try to pull something over on the poor servicemen over there?!image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

• << <i>JR, are you suggesting the Iraqis might try to pull something over on the poor servicemen over there?!image

imageimageimage >>

Not at all 1jester. I just quoted Ray (no words of my own). He'll be along shortly to respond I guess. I'm just hosting Ray's images and posted them at his request. image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'd be wary if I were you or Ray. I suspect there are tons of counterfeits floating around.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much Jim.

As stated, these are coins that a fellow Soldier has aquired during his walks throughout the city with an interpreter. Him and I spoke and he said he would keep his eye out for me and help me get a few. I was hoping I could get a little info about these coins and approximate worth, or if there is any eye catchers that I should get no matter what.

I will pick up a few even if I am over charged, to think, I traveled over to Iraq and aquired these coins from the people, not some dealer, but from the people.

By the way, these coins are not from the museum, NONE of the coins were stolen from the Museum. Prior to the War, the coins were all moved to a sepparate hidden part of the museum. After the hoopla, they were all found.

Thankyou for any help/information about these coins, and JR, thank you once again.

Ray
  • Hey Ray!! image Stay safe buddy.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Very nice coins! Looks like cleaning is very prevalent though. I especially like the detailed king in the 3rd photo down.
    The '82 Proof set cats at $50.
    Why are the pics dated 2001 though?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The larger coin in the sixth photo down is an Abbasid dirham, though I can't make out the writing. Baghdad was the Abbasid capital and those are pretty common type coins, so that one shouldn't be too expensive. The coin in the fourth photo is Ottoman, and the one on the top left of the third photo is Spanish colonial, Mexico City mintmark.
  • The Spanish Colonial silver coin looks to be 1621-65 vintage, maybe older. Your photos also show a nice Sassian Empire dirhem, Islamic silver from roughly the 1200's as well as the Abbasid ( I think someone said )dirhem of Baghdad that looks to date roughly 750 AD-1000 A.d. These dirhems are often found in Viking hoards because they loved Viking silver. In the first two pix are Greek silver coins-- they look real to me, but in the case of Greek silver, you really do have to be careful because there are definitely fakes out there. Otherwise, the coins pictured look genuine to me. If the Greek silver coins are genuine and you can get them for under $100, I'd say that's doing quite good. If you can get the Spanish silver coin for $50 or under, I'd say that's a good buy-- not sure of the exact value of this one, but I'd think it would be higher than $50. Others on this board may have more precise pricing info.