Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Collecting Newfie coins

How many of us collect Newfoundland coins? What denominations do you collect?

I'm working on a type set and George VI 5 cent pieces, although I'm getting a couple of the 10 cent pieces because I found some nice BU coins at reasonable prices.

I think I'll have to content myself with incomplete collections, especially since I relly don't want to spend thebig bucks to get a 1946C 5 cent piece at this point. They are relatively inexpensive when you consider the scarcity.

What challenges have you faced in assembling your collection?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've only got a couple of Newfie pieces-nothing special at all- 1882h 20 cents in VG+ and a 1917c 50 cents in fine that I picked up because I liked their look. At some point I'm going to do a type set of all the maritimes, but there's so much else ahead of that! I don't see too much of this material but then I haven't been looking hard eitherimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I would have a full type set (16 coins) EXCEPT for the 1904 20c coin. Anyone have an affordable extra one in very used condition?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I'm putting together an extensive type set of 43 coins. I find it very difficult to find nice lower grade coins at any coin shop or show.
  • Options
    I'm putting together a set of all the halfpennies and pennies. The problem I am running across is that it is difficult to find examples in higher grades, because the Newfies didn't save a lot of them, but had to spend them for living expenses.

• Options
    I have the odd one mixed in my Canadian here or there.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    My set is nearly complete. I only need the keys (and expensive): 1880 oval 0 large cent, 1873H five cent, 1946C five cent, 1870 ten cent, and 1880 $2.

I might have a few duplicates around here somewhere. Hmmm.... an idea for this weekend's swap meet. image

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I have a 1912 20c which I just had graded by NGC; MS65. It's the Pittman specimen. I'm considering selling since I'm heading in other collecting directions at this time.

If anyone might be interested, let me know.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on a George V type set. While I'd love to get your 1912 20 cent piece, I'll have to stick with my AU-58 specimen for now due to budgetary restraints. image Getting any mint state 50 cent piece with eye appeal was harder than I imagined.

I haven't even started on George V copper type coins yet.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I'm focusing on a Newfie silver type set. Yet to find any Victorian stuff in my price range, so I'm content with George V and VI
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think I only have 2 Newfie coins--a 1940 cent and 1917 5 cents.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the designs on Newfie coins also, especially the Queen Victoria designs. I have 7 Newfies in my collection, 4 from Queen Victoria's reign. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    My Newfie type collection is limited to just trying to complete my blue Whitman folder #9088 with average circulated specimens. The folder has spaces for 3 large cents, 1 small cent, 4 each 5- & 10-cent silvers, 3 20-cent silvers, 1 25-cent silver, and 3 silver half-dollars, or a total of 19 coins (for the counting-impaired image )

I'm down to "just" needing examples of the following 5 coins to complete the set:

Large Cent: Edward VII (1904-09)

5-cent Silver: Edward VII (1903-08) & Geo. V (1912-29)

10-cent Silver: Edward VII (1903-04)

20-cent Silver: Edward VII (1904H)

I have just a few extra Newfies, but they are probably common:

Large Cent: 1876
    Small Cents: 1941C (3) & 1943C
    10-cent Silver: 1940

Always looking to trade!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    The only newfies I have are a few $2 gold coins, which are quite attractive. Otherwise I stick to Canadian decimal coins
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only newfies I have are a few $2 gold coins, which are quite attractive. Otherwise I stick to Canadian decimal coins >>

I still don't know why Whitman didn't make a space for $2 coins in their Newfoundland type set album.

Does anyone have a nice (but not too nice) 1904 20 cent piece for sale?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Wow, looks like almost everyone needs the 1904 20c. I have to admit I don't have a Newfie 20c at all!