Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Best coins under $10?

Here's a great challenge to my darkside friends... What are the best coins on the dark side that are $10 or less.

#1 on the list for me is latter date US-Philippine coinage.
#2 would be 20th century Canadian coins

What are some ideas you have for coins <$10?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    19th Century Newfoundland 50c pieces. They can usually be picked up for $5.00 and some have mintages less than 50,000

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    most of my favorite British coppers are more than $10. So, I'll go with nicely toned French Walkers. I picked up a nice UNC 1962 5 Franc with rainbow colors for $10, I never knew they had edge lettering.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Non-euro Vatican mint sets. Mintages are in most cases lower than the euro sets but they can usually be found for $10 or less. The JPII sets already are creeping up in price as the death profiteers snatch them up.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    A lot of farthings in top condition go for $10 or less. You can get the whole set of George VI and Elizabeth II in BU full lustre condition for $10 or much less apiece, except for 1938. Many of the George V issues, 1911-1936, used to be available at such prices, but the market for them has changed, I'm afraid.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I tell you what - you could go round getting an MS type set of George VI, QEII and some George V.

Or you could go on a low grade farthing spree and collect varieties. That is Victoria and back to Charles II (or 20th cent and back if you want to...). Lots of them go below $10 (£6) but they are low grade.

I don't know about World coins.... but the above are two good ideas. Go to Colin Cookes site to see the farthings and learn something about them.... But the lower grade ones can in general be bought for less online.

L
  • Options
    you can get a lot of worn, but halfway decent ancient roman AND ancient greek bronze coins on ebay for $10 and under
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    RCM numismatic silver dollars from the 1960's through the 1990's can usually be had for under $10. Some are more than that, but most can be had in either specimen or proof for $1.50 to $10 US.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    British coins is an excellent idea. I already have about 40 roman coins. Soaking in olive oil right now. image

I've basically sold off 90% of my collection and am going to start back up slowly with darkside coins. I'm tired of the lightside premiums. Although I'll still snag one or two now and then. I'm going on the hunt for cool darkside stuff now. I'm mainly wanting to stick with lustrous examples right now, though.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question and while there may not be a best coin, there are lots and lots of great coins that can be purchased for $10 and under including BU Mexican Pesos from 1933 through 1945 ($3-$6 each), Mexican Copper, and that is just a start. I should add that collecting world coins can be a real experience because there are many beautiful coins from so many different countries that fit into just about any budget.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an impossible question to answer. There are many rare and desirable coins that can be
    had for less than $10. Which are best in dependent on one's interests and collections. I per-
    sonally like some of the modern coins which were ignored because they replaced a popular sil-
    ver coin. There are many modern world coins which are elusive and these have simply caught
    my attention.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    How about this bad boy I just picked up on eBay for $7.95?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I like any nice coin with some toning that are under $10.00, the Newfounland cent was in someones bargin bin for $7.00 minus 20% off..

The toning is realy neat better than the photos:

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a look at my inventory, and I would go with common date Peruvian sols in ordinary condition.
    A second choice would be some post-World War II British and Commonwealth crowns such as from New Zealand and South Africa. From Britain itself would be the issues of Elizabeth.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    If it was my question,I'd stick with wybrit's advice ,or Lloyd's first proposition ,especially since you know that lustrous examples is the only way to go. But there's also the hunt on eBay, without any particular collecting strategy and coins like cosmic's are like a breath of fresh air for a change everynow and then.

Now regarding creeping up in price JPII sets, that's newsman allright imageimage
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now regarding creeping up in price JPII sets, that's newsman allright imageimage >>

We report, you decide -- personally, I'd rather not be in the same company with those who do things like sell pieces of the space shuttle on eBay, but I would like to get at least one JPII set before the death profiteers snatch them up. imageimage