Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Request Question

I went through the process of sending in the on-line form for a new set request. I put in the three serial numbers and all that jazz.

What's next? I got a mesaage back saying I could submit the set request and that any help I could give would be helpful. Is there some of formatted excel spreadsheet I need to fill out or something and send to BJ?

Buehler? Anybody?
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Comments

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    From my understanding, if you do sumbit a checklist of the set and suggested weights for the cards, your set will be moved to the top of the list.

Carlos
  • Options
    A little off the topic, but who comes up with the weights for some of these sets??? I know in a couple of my sets, some of the weights are totally illogical. The problem is mainly with the commons. the one's that are the most difficult are always weighted 1, where some easy hi pops are weighted 1.5 or 2. also it seems the player sets are like that too. some cheap rookies are weighted favorably, but the low pop cards that are difficult to acquire graded or not, and auto'd cards always carry weights of 1. anyone else notice this paradox?
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    That raises the question I had, but never asked. Are the weights based on PSA populations, or are they based on the difficulty/cost of finding the cars in any form- raw or graded?
    John Vineyard

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    It's my understanding that the weights are based on SMR prices in PSA 8. That would explain why some low-pop commons are not adequately reflected in the weightings.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Southsider is correct. Weights are based on SMR PSA 8 at the time the set is requested.

Also, excel spreadsheet is the preferred method BJ wants for set requests. At least it was the last time I submitted a set request a few months back..

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    i was about to ask this question, because im trying to add a Guy LaFleur basic or master set. although i have no idea about pop reports, or about how to weight it
  • Options
    sounds a little rigid to me but i guess it makes sense....but i'm still not too happy that a $5 emmitt smith proset psa 10 garners a higher weight than a $200 1988 psa 10 emmitt smith florida gators card.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Tom,

Once you submit your request with the 3 serial numbers, the set request is placed in the queue. As it moves up
    the queue, you will eventually receive an e-mail asking you to submit your list of cards that make up the set,
    along with your suggest weight for each card.

Your list needs to have the year, card manufacturer, card number, and player name. If you do not provide a weight
    on the card, PSA will usually assign a weight for you.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    hey Ray,

what if you know all the cards that should make up the Master Set, but you dont have access to the Pop Report so you dont know which cards have been graded thus far? thanks for your help......Will
  • Options
    For my last set request, I sent in an excel spreadsheet with the checklist and names but gave everything an equal weight (it was only a 50 card non-sports set).

The set was not moved to the top of the list, but proceeded upwards on the waiting list and became a set in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Will,

For the few sets that I have submitted, I have never included a weight, and have let PSA assign it for me.

Ray
  • Options
    In some Player Master Sets of players from the 60's and 70's, I have noticed some weighting that I disagree with as well. My main complaint is that in most sets, the Topps version of a card has a higher weight than the O Pee Chee version.

Examples:

1970 O-PEE-CHEE WILLIE STARGELL - Grade Weight 3
    1970 TOPPS WILLIE STARGELL - Grade Weight 5

1971 O-PEE-CHEE WILLIE STARGELL - Grade Weight 4
    1971 TOPPS WILLIE STARGELL - Grade Weight 6

1975 O-PEE-CHEE ROD CAREW - Grade Weight 2
    1975 TOPPS ROD CAREW - Grade Weight 4

1975 O-PEE-CHEE MIKE SCHMIDT - Grade Weight 5
    1975 TOPPS MIKE SCHMIDT - Grade Weight 5

Try finding any of the OPC cards listed above in PSA 8. It can be done, but you will pay a handsome price.

Now try to find any of the Topps cards listed above in PSA 8. One of each of these will turn up on ebay at least once a month.

Just look at the POP Report for the Schmidt card:

1975 OPC Mike Schmidt #70 graded PSA 8 - POP 4
    1975 Topps Mike Schmidt #70 graded PSA 8 - POP 245

Should these cards really hold the same weight?

JEB.