Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Poll: Need your help figuring out how to best sell my Registry Sets

I tried selling my three registry sets at a set price with no luck, so I am getting ready to list it on ebay and am contemplating starting it at a buck and letting them rip. However, I did receive some advice on selling them different ways, so I thought I would poll the experts and see what you all think is the best way to go about it. I thought that someone might like a complete intact #1 set or two, or three, but again had no takers, so I was thinking...should I break up the set and sell individually or sell the individual years instead of as I had hoped...selling all three at once. I was thinking that selling them as #1 sets would bring the most money (I guess thinking that a #1 would bring a premium), but others have suggested that breaking the sets down individually would create more competition on the super special coins, and I would avoid lower bids because people might not bid because they only want one coin instead of five or 15.

Below you will find the actual sets, so you can get a clearer picture...

Matthew and Jonathon Minsberg SMS - The Number One Finest Set of All Time-1965 SMS Set

Matthew and Jonathon Minsberg SMS - The Number One Finest Set of All Time-1966 SMS Set

Matthew and Jonathon Minsberg SMS - Tied for The Number One Finest Set of All Time-1967 SMS Set

Again the individual sets by year are #1 for each year. The combined 1965-1967 set is #2 overall.

thanks for your help...please include any explainations and any other thoughts on the matter.

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    Most people can't afford to buy an entire set, especially if it is the #1 set.
    Plus, the majority of the people here are collectors, not rich, lazy people
    who just want to plunk down some money and have a set; we want to
    collect a piece at a time.

Better break it up, so people can bid on what they want. (Or sell it to a
    major dealer as the whole set possibly, but they probably wouldn't pay
    much of a premium since they would turn around and break it up.)
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    One coin at a time
    One year (or one set) at a time
    All three at a time
    None of the above (reply with other answer)

Option five:

Just keep doing these disguised for sale posts and sooner or later, somebody will bite.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I'm replying to this post because you said "Please....Please", but I don't have a clue how to sell your Registry Sets!

~*Bugs*~
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I had a difficult time finding ONE buyer for my Proof Washington set when it was #1 in the Registry. Eventually I did, but it took time.

I wanted to sell the set intact -- and it was an "ego thing." Frankly, I think I would have made more money selling the coins individually. My reasoning is this: as a set, some of the high end premium coins were balanced out by the not-so-premium coins. If sold individually, the not-so-premium coins would have still reached fair value, but I think the high end coins might have brought more.

I think as a set it was difficult to find one buyer with that much available cash.

Selling a registry set coin by coin, and over time (you dont want to flood the market with too many coins at one time) would result in higher prices.

Other options: frankly, I think eBay is dead. I would try specialized dealers or major auctioneers to handle your set. Be patient, as patience will be rewarded with extra money for each coin. A fire sale will mean lower prices.

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    Morris;
    I'm not sure anyone would want some of those coins---especially those crummy old cameo pennies!! So just send them off to me to get them out of your sets---I'm sure they'd sell a lot better without those lousy shiny red coins.image

Pete
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Morris, I don't know you and have never bought any coins from you. I do see your posts here often. I don't know the REASON you are selling these sets. Are you a collector or a dealer or both? Is your reason for being in the hobby to enjoy coins or to make money? Once you complete a set is it time to sell? In reality, what does it mean to have the #1 or #17 rated registry set TO YOU? Think about those questions seriously. If you chose to answer them honestly I will give you my opinion on how to best sell these SMS sets. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve, I appreciate your candor, however I am not sure I understand your tone...maybe I am just reading into it more than you meant. I work my A$$ off six and sometimes seven days a week, trying to be a friendly, fair and honest dealer. I have worked like this for 4+ years and have enjoyed working with many coin collectors over that period of time, I consider it a priviledge to make my living buying and selling coins. I know coin dealers have a negative stigma, and alot of it rightly so. Perhaps it is fair that you question my ethics on this (because of that negative stigma), but if it was me I would have done it privately. I don't know you and have not had any transactions with you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your intentions were pure of motive, however I am sick and tired of people being the cop, judge and jury on people (mostly dealers) without any substantiality to their suppositions. I guess to be safe I should add a image

With that being said, I reitierate that I must believe your motives are true, and would appreciate your opinion and I will do my best to answer your questions. I started opposite most coin people. I started as a dealer, working for my father as a way to spend more time with my family. I still rely on coins to put food on the table and a roof over my family's head. Then it happened...I actually started liking coins outside the notion of making money. My favorites are Lincolns, SMS coins and toned coins. I was doing well and decided to start a Registry set. I thought it would be fun.

It was tremendous fun, but I need the money. I am in a situation that requires me to sell it.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    My answer based on your intro to the sets is D: hold em.
    I understand you need cash but I am trying to do the same for my kids.
    wish you the best.
    Pete
  • Options
    1. Are you a collector or a dealer or both? (for me, I guess a little of both but mostly collector)
    2. Is your reason for being in the hobby to enjoy coins or to make money? (
    for me, I guess a little of both, but mostly to enjoy coins)
    3. Once you complete a set is it time to sell? (
    for me, no - at least not yet)
    4. In reality, what does it mean to have the #1 or #17 rated registry set TO YOU
    ? (for me, #1 is WAY COOL image , #17 is sad image )

Morris,

All reasonable questions from someone that doesn't know you too well. I DO think you mave have read between the lines TOO much with Steve's post. I don't see ANYTHING even peripherally out of line there. If Steve has a question for you I'm sure the answer will help him help you better. In reality, Morris, I think Steve's 4 questions cut right to the heart of knowing ALL about people's intentions. They are pretty much the boiled down embodiement of everything you need to know about the motives/intentions/position of other collectors/dealers and their views as to how they see collecting (sorry if I'm getting to abstract). image

Steve,

Morris is one of the REALLY good guys. I know your post had a true good spirit.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Morris,
    I really appreciate your comments to me. Roger really understood me and expressed acurately why I asked the questions I did. If I was more into reading your posts on this board I would have understood your situation better. I am sorry if I offended you. It was certainly NOT my intent.

Now to answer your question as I promised. You are a dealer and you need some money. You also have three SMS sets rated high in the PCGS registry which you seem to enjoy with your children. IMHO you need to determine the TRUE market today for your coins. Forget the position in the Registry. There are very few collectors out there who will pay you the money you may think these coins should sell for.(premium over market for being high in the registry) As a dealer, if you have customers who you think may REALLY want these coins for their collection, I would suggest you contact them and try to make a deal. If you find that the prices offered don't meet your desires at this time, then obviously the priority to get money on these particular coins is NOT so urgent. If that is the case, I would suggest you hang on to them and enjoy them with your kids for the time being. I don't personally think the strategies listed in your poll have anything to do with achieving the most money for your coins. They may be a way to get some money while still hanging onto some of your coin sets for awhile. Anyway, as you can see, this is all just MY thoughts and it really is YOUR thoughts that count. What ever you do, be HAPPY with your decision. Good luck, Steveimage
  • Options
    "I am getting ready to list it on ebay and am contemplating starting it at a buck and letting them rip."

p.s. If you do that with the 66 cent in 67 cameo I'll even pay the featured listing fee for you including bold & highlight imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    some ideas (depends on how soon you want/need money)

major auction house - consign to a sale that is going to be held at a major show -> FUN , Heritage ?
    - or an internet auction -> Heritage, Teletrade

do the work yourself - pay them for auction platform -> eBay, Yahoo

spam email owners of sets that could be improved by 1 or more of your coins with your set prices

sell them outright to a dealer that handles these type of coins -> ? DHRC, RIcoins, wondercoin ?

you are really optimistic if you feel you can get more than 50% CU prices for top end moderns
  • Options
    Most recent Teletrade prices:

1965:

1c 7RD $21
    5c 7CA $180
    10c 8CA No Teletrade Last 2,000 Days 67CA $220 (PCGS Price Guide: 7CA $300, 8CA $900)
    25c 7CA $425
    50c 8 $340

Set: $1,186

1966:

1c 7CA $2,900 (pop 4 at the time)
    5c 7CA $120
    10c 9 $180
    25c 7CA $60
    50c 8CA No Teletrade Last 2,000 Days 68 $160 67CA $140 (PCGS Price Guide: 7CA $250, 8CA $495)

Set: $3,420

1967:

1c 7CA $2,200
    5c 7CA $45
    10c 8CA $160
    25c 8CA $320
    50c 7DC $450

Set: $3,175

All 3 Sets: $7,781. Remember, sellers on Teletrade got 5% less (i.e. $7,391.95).

$2,681 w/out the 66 & 67 Lincoln. Add another $845 if you give 100% credit image to the PCGS price guide "extra value" for the 65 dime & 66 half (or $717 proportionately for a total of $3,398) for a total of $3,526 w/out the 66 & 67 Lincolns.

Unless I'm missing something major as to the REAL added value of the 65 dime in 8CAM & the 50 half in 8CAM these are worth around 5-6k for the whole lot (with 7k being a stretch). As you know, the Lincoln prices on the 66 & 67 are currently ridiculous under present conditions. In fact, the last 66 in 67CAM changed hands at $1,500, so you can knock off $700 right there. The 66 in 67 CAM WAS $2900 as a pop 4 when Lincoln's Memorial Proofs were on fire but now is probably also in the $1,500 range.

Anyone else wanna do Heritage, eBay, & Bowers & Marena be my guest.

IMHO, I don't think ANYONE is going to go anywhere the 14k number you through out. image Not even to have an instantly highly ranked set. If you find such a person, I have several sets for sale imageimageimage

Hope this helps Morris (& any interested parties) image

Of course, I could be wrong image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger, you are about $2K short on the 65 dime. It is a pop 4/0, and there are no DC's for that year.

EDIT: And probably $750 short on the 66 dime (which is not RD). However, some of the other prices appear optimistic.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me Doug. As Stewart might say, I don't know Jack Schitt (about prices on anything other than Lincolns) image
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't surprise me Doug. As Stewart might say, I don't know Jack Schitt (about anything other than Lincolns) image >>

Then maybe you should keep the sarcasm to a minimum when a fellow is down and has to sell his coins. I'm sure Morris will find out exactly what the market value of each and every coin is when he sells them. I think he will be pleasantly surprised on some, and dissapointed on others. Same thing I would be if I had to sell one of my sets involuntarily.

JMHO

Doug
  • Options
    "Then maybe you should keep the sarcasm to a minimum"

I think this is another case of a misunderstanding! Where was I sarcastic? I really DON'T know anything about non-Lincoln prices (other then the auction records I found). I spoke nothing but good about Morris. I donated my time to help with some of the pricing data (sorry if reality wasn't what some may have hoped).
    I think you're WAY out of line on this one, Doug. It's real easy to be critical of me since I'm the only one to offer SPECIFIC opinions as to the value of each & every coin. Just because I may have been off on a couple I don't think that means I'm trying to take advantage of someone "that's down" as you put it.

BTW if you think I won't be the one to pay him the most for the 66 1c in 67 CAM, think again.

p.s. If you feel so bad for him why don't you write him a check for the 14k he mentioned!

p.p.s. Or how much is it exactly that you ARE willing to pay for all 3 sets. image
  • Options

<< <i><STRONG>"Then maybe you should keep the sarcasm to a minimum"

</STRONG>I think this is another case of a misunderstanding! Where was I sarcastic? I really <STRONG>DON'T</STRONG> know anything about non-Lincoln prices (other then the auction records I found). I spoke nothing but good about Morris. I donated my time to help with some of the pricing data (sorry if reality wasn't what some may have hoped).
    I think you're WAY out of line on this one, Doug. It's real easy to be critical of me since I'm the only one to offer SPECIFIC opinions as to the value of each & every coin. Just because I may have been off on a couple I don't think that means I'm trying to take advantage of someone "that's down" as you put it.

BTW if you think I won't be the one to pay him the most for the 66 1c in 67 CAM, think again.

p.s. If you feel so bad for him why don't you write him a check for the 14k he mentioned!

p.p.s. Or how much is it exactly that you ARE willing to pay for all 3 sets. image >>

That's exactly what I mean.
    Doug
  • Options
    I would do it one at a time on eBay, starting at $1, and no reserve. That keeps your ad placement costs to a minimum. I would say $x S/H/I for the first item, and perhaps $1 or so for each additional item won the same day. That way, the buyer can decide how he/she wants to group the coins together.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    << major auction house - consign to a sale that is going to be held at a major show -> FUN , Heritage ?
    - or an internet auction -> Heritage, Teletrade >>

I just thought of this too. I agree. Heritage sent me a consignment package, but I'm not ready to sell yet. They have been bugging me for the last few months. This package includes:

1. "Why Auction -- How the Dynamics of Auction Yield Better Results" sheet.
    2. "Heritage Numismatic Auctions -- The World's Largest Rare Coin Dealer" booklet.
    3. "What our consignors say about us" booklet.

You can contact them at Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc. or 1-800-US COINS (1-800-872-6467). Their address is Heritage Plaza, 100 Highland Park Village, 2nd Floor, Dallas, TX 75205-2788.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.