Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Take a look at this brockage

Corrupting youth since 2004

Comments

• Options
    What's "TOMBAC"?

Looks like a brockage of a British brass threepence to me....

Limage
  • Options
    During the Second World War, Canadian nickel was in great demand as a war material. This forced the temporary abandonment of its use in the coining of five-cent pieces. The first substitute material employed was a type of brass, called tombac. To aid in distinguishing them from the bronze one-cent coins, the new yellow five-cent pieces were given a dodecagonal or 12-sided, shape. The new coins, designed by Thomas Shingles, the Chief Engraver at the Royal Canadian Mint, were introduced in 1943. On the reverse side, the traditional design of a beaver was replaced by a new special design with a patriotic motif. The large V featured in the centre stood both for five (cents) and for victory. To further enhance the impact of the design, the usual rim beads were replaced by an international code message of dots and dashes reading: "We win when we work willingly." The same design was continued for the duration of the war, although in 1944-45 chromium-plated steel was used instead of tombac. The coin is made of tombac and is in the National Currency Collection, Bank of Canada.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/bank/english/esep75.htm
  • Options
    Well I didn't know that.... esp. about the morse code.....

L
  • Options
    Neat, nice find and bit of history! image
  • Options
    Are there any cheap brockages?
  • Options
    I believe morse code is something else that's simular, but not the same.

As for brockages, ancient brockages are often unwanted and can be had for $10 or so if you can find one.

A counterbrockage Canadian cent (late 70's or early 80's, don't remember) went for $130 on ebay not too long ago.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Here are the coins we are talking about - the copper colored one is Tombac,

Canadians
    Shep