Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

HOF Player sets vs. Regular sets--Which is harder?

I was wondering what most Registry members think is hardest type of set to put together. Say a 1972 Topps type yearly set or a HOF RC set like the one I collect(NFL HOFers). Is it easier to collect the HOFers because there are usually more that have been PSA graded? Or is it easier to collect a yearly set because the commons are usually cheaper than the HOF RC's? The yearly sets are bigger 300+, but many of the cards can be had in PSA 8 for under $15. The HOF RC's are more plentiful for the most part, but these are also the most popular players and have more NON registry people bidding for them on ebay.

I've got to think the HOFers set holds better value because EVERY card is a great player. Finding cheap UN-graded cards of HOF Rookies is harder in my experience as well. Most dealers try and sell the star cards at a premium while many try to "get rid" of their commons for cheap because they are, or at least used to be, considered not worth grading.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I am obviously a HOF RC only collector, but thinking about starting a yearly set and would like to hear the pros and cons from the Registry guys first..

JasP24
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Not sure which one is tougher but I am in the same collecting group as you. I only want Hall of Fame Rookies. I, however, collect all sports.
    I recently asked this same question to my self, and I have decided to start building a 1961 fleer basketball set. I have just fallen in love with these cards. Several reasons why I chose to start a set was
    It is only 66 cards (almost half are HOF'ers)
    I already have the "toughies"
    need something else to spend my $$ on image

I always told myself that I would never buy a graded common, but I broke down and gave in. This is a set I am going to build very slowly and pic up cards only when meeting my rigid centering standards.
    I am still going to be focusing on the HOF rookies, since that is my ultimate goal.

Which set were you thinking about starting? If I had to choose 1 FB set, it would probably be the 55 AA set.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am in the same boat. I'm over 88% complete on my NFL HOFer set, so I was thinking about going after a set. But wasn't sure how easy or hard it would be to undertake in comparison with the HOFer set which I have been building for the better part of 5 years now.

55 AA's are nice, but I was looking more at the 57 Topps set. They are my favorite set of the 50's, just they way they look. Not going by which are most valuable, easiest to find, smallest set, etc. That is the basis of my question really. Is it more for the "how much I like the specific set" or go after the easiest/hardest, most valuable or chapest...

Havent really decided yet...

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    In my opinion a straight HOF set (not just rookies) is much easier than a regular set. 200+ cards v. 600+ cards is a huge difference. However, most HOF set builders try to get as may rookies as possible so it gets very pricey. $$ gets huge for the pre-war HOFers rookie or not.

Now if your talking PSA 8 or better than the HOF set may be tougher. There simply aren't enough high grade examples.

To sum it all up.....for a nice HOF set with rookies you need big $$$.....for a regular set you need big patience and mid-range $$$.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    my hockey HOF set, which i collect in PSA 8 or higher, is a monster. ive pretty much hit a brick wall with available material. i have most every HOFer from the 70's to now, and the vintage cards can get pricey. i guess i'll have to settle for having the highest GPA, cause i doubt ill ever catch the other guys
  • Options
    Try the Hall of fame Autograph set, this is a challenge, and fun one at that!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Well, demand is higher for the HOFers, but so is supply. So, I don't think there is a sinmple yes or no answer. I'd say more often the HOF sets would be easier to complete, but you have to be ready to pay. No under the radar steals there.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>my hockey HOF set, which i collect in PSA 8 or higher, is a monster. ive pretty much hit a brick wall with available material. i have most every HOFer from the 70's to now, and the vintage cards can get pricey. i guess i'll have to settle for having the highest GPA, cause i doubt ill ever catch the other guys >>

goodriddance,

$ is one issue for the pre-war cards ....I agree. Finding PSA 8 cards is another story. Let's face it.....until pre-war HOFers exist in PSA 8 or better we have to lower our standards. PSA 5's or 6's are hard enough!!!

My goal is to get (1) PSA 8 rookies for 1970 and up, (2) mid-grade rookies for 1951 to 1969, and (3) the best I can find for anything before 1951. Once I'm done the set I'll upgrade as available and concentrate on other sets.

Tom
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    I would say that the HOF set is harder. I collect the baseball player HOFers and some of those sets are unreal! If you look at some of those top sets, you will see lots of cards from the 1800's! It's insane.

That's why I have a cheater set. I have a whole slew of cards from 1960 and 1961 Fleer sets.

OK gotta go.

Dave
    sellerman23
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    I think this argument needs to be simplified further. There's a huge difference between baseball and the other sports. I personally only collect football. I'm currently building the NFL HOF set, along with the '50 & '51 bowman, and the '55 topps aa. I have found it much harder to find the early bowman's (even though they're only 144 cards) for my sets than I have for HOF'ers sets, as there just aren't enough graded. If you have the green, the 55 topps aa and the HOFers are really easy to accumulate, and actually pretty inexpensive if psa 6's and below don't bother you (I've put nearly half the aa set together in the last month in psa 5 and 6, very inexpensively). I actually only started those sets because i got so tired of having to wait days on end for one or two bowman cards to appear, but when they do appear they sell very reasonably. I even began scouring websites for the bowmans before i gave up because everyone's prices were unreasonable.

However, as for baseball this is an entirely different world. There is always supply.....with equal demand. So again if you have the green you can regularly find whatever you're looking for, but it always costs you. At the same time youre also stuck putting together bohemoth sets with tons of commons that sell at multiples of smr.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Some of the NFL HOFers are tough to find. I would say 25% of them only show up once or twice a year on ebay. Some I have NEVER seen on ebay PSA graded in the 5 years that I have collected the set. When these rare LOW POP cards show up on ebay, there is usually a pretty good fight for them. LOW POP in football means less than 10. Unlike baseball, the total number of vintage graded HOF RC's is normally 50-75% LESS than a baseball HOFer in a matching year/set.

JasP24