Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mystery coin. What is it?

The coin is about the size of a dollar. No one local knows what they are.

Comments

• Options
    No ID here but I don't think it is a coin. No demonination shown so i would guess it is a comm or a token type of round.

I do like it I will say...image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I think I found it here.

Twenty-Five Pence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crown sized coins continue to be issued for major Royal events. As the crown had been five shillings before decimalisation, the denomination continued as 25 pence for the first ten years. Four issues were made between 1971 and 1981. A characteristic of all four is that there is no indication of value.

Weight: 28.28 grams, Diameter 38.61 mm, cupronickel (75% Cu 25% Ni) although proofs are known in silver of various degrees of fineness.

1977 25th Anniversary of Queen's Accession.
    Obverse: Queen on Horseback, ELIZABETH II DG REG FD 1977
    Reverse: Coronation Regalia with floral border. Crown above. No Inscription.

Now what are they worth 25 pence and collector value? I don't think they are proofs.

• Options
    Good link find. I still am not sure it is a "coin". Comm of course but not a circulating coin with demonination value.

I need to add here that I am probably the least experienced to make these comments. Others will be on later and straighten me out....image

I just liked it very much....image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    It's a NCLT decimal crown. The design is also found in the proof sets of that year. Note the similarity to the 1953 coronation crown. Decimal crowns were minted in 1972 (25th wedding anniv of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh), 1977 (Silver Jubilee), 1980 (Queen Mother's 80th birthday) and 1981 (Chuck and Di). The face value of each of these is £0.25. Coins minted after 1981 with this size were set at face value of £5.

Collector value of these coins in UNC and not in "official folders" is about £2 ($3).
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited to rephrase: wybrit's verdict is final! (= better luck next time)

<< <i>Noone local knows what they are >>

Is this a rural area or what? How difficult can it be to identify a silver Jubilee Elizabeth crown? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Thanks alot!