Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newfie 5c 1945C mintmark variety?

I have 2 of these and the C shows a definite difference when compared. image Sorry for the poor scans.
One has the bottom of the C extending farther to the right than the top of the C. (left)
The other is a more uniform horseshoe shape and seems smaller.
Is there a documented variety? Thanks for any help!
Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

Comments

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up two Newfie 10 cent pieces from the coin store today, and I wouldn't be surprised if no one in the US cared about different mint marks! The fact that I'm able to buy George VI Newfie 5 and 10 cent pieces so far back of catalog here leads me to believe that.

Cool find, though. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in Charlton about shifted mintmarks. I also checked in my copies of Hans Zoell's Minor Coin Varieties - nothing specifically mentioned, but he has pictures of two 1945C 10 cents that show the exact position variety you have. Must be due to hand punching the mint mark into the die.

Interesting find all the same image

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • I have checked my 3rd edition Zoell, Major and minor, and there is no mention of it there. Nice find Brad.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I checked my old Charltons and Zoell 4th ed. Major varieties but found nothing. I know there are maritimes and newf publications that are more extensive on varieties than these books are. If i get the chance this week I will check them out at the library.
  • The 2003 Krause actually has a closeup of a 1943 5c C mintmark. It appears to be the one I have on the left, the short top/long bottom C.
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I posted this same question on the Canadian Coin Reference site at the same time as here and haven't got one comment or reply!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Newfoundland coins don't receive nearly the attention that Canadian coins get, but I find them fascinating. It's also interesting to note that the citizens of Newfoundland could theoretically voted to join the US in 1948-49 if they wanted to.
    Obscurum per obscurius