Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

RRR Napoleonic era Masonic medal...

I just put this up on my site:

It's from the Lodge of the United Arts of Rouen and dates from 1808. I love the imagery and hope to improve the pics over the next few days... image

If you're interested in hi-res pics here's a link to the page. The larger pics are accessed by clicked on either the obverse or reverse.
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very neat ... especially when you know every symbol has its meaning.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • I was watching the tube tonight and decided that I would put another of these beauties online. Here's a link to another beauty from Rouen, this one from 1812. It's an octagonal as well image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's beautiful, Elverno!! I love Masonic tokens.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The best coins and the best medals seem to have similar design elements that make them stand out, somehow combining lots of detail without seeming to be too cluttered. Nice medal(s) elverno! image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I like the second one even better, for the same reasons Laurent pointed out. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • ttt
  • Ok, one from the Lodge of the Three Hs, this one located in Havre. Another from the collection of Prince Victor Napoleon it's not in nearly the condition of the previous two but is extremely rare in silver. Apparently there's a much more common variety with a legend on the altar that this one doesn't have.

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers that something like this would be struck in? The references I have are almost deliberately vague but I'm guessing from the context that this one may only have a couple of siblings out there... Also, French Masonic Lodges were not extremely large in this time period (1813).
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)