Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mailing coins to Greece

I have to send some coins to Greece and do not know what to do about it? If you read the below from the USPS website it says you are not allowed to mail coins to Greece?????????

Anyone ever do this and how?

Prohibitions for Greece
Aluminum foil for tobacco manufacturing.
Coins; traveler's checks; platinum, gold or silver, manufactured or not; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles, except banknotes, currency notes (paper money), securities payable to bearer may be sent in registered letter-post shipments.
Firearms, swords, and any articles containing them.
Fresh meat, preserved meat, rawhides, wool, and other animal products must be accompanied by a certificate showing the place of origin and stating that it is free of disease.
Perishable infectious biological substances.
Perishable noninfectious biological substances.
Playing cards; saccharine; tobacco, cigars, cigarettes; and cigarette papers.
Radioactive materials.
Live plants and animals.
Arms and weapons.
Human remains.

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Human remains??

Sorry, it looks like it's illegal to ship coins to Greece. The recipient might not like this, but if I were you, I'd try to disguise the shipment inside a Global Priority Mailer. And try to avoid sending the coin inside a slab or Airtite. These are just suggestions, and might not be possible in your case.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I got to find a way to get these to Dimitri.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I have not bothered to look that up before, I sent coins to India, and they got there, no problem although it took about 20 days.

Just a thought do other country listings prohibit coins? Maybe it is just a generic statement, because they don't want currency/money
    sent through the mail?

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I think coins are also "banned" items for shipping to POLAND!! image

If slabs use corrugated cardboard to add some thickness (1/2") and cutout sections for the slabs. If they insist on a customs declaration, put "printed matter" on the slip; and check GIFT.

Use the larger Global Priority mailer. That's worked for me to Europaville.
  • Options
    No slabs, what if I just stickem' in one of those cardboard thingies and then stick that in an envelope. I want to send it registered. Would it still need a customs declaration?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Along the same topic why would coins as numismatic items be illegal to ship???????
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never read that about Greece. I have shipped about 6 Proof Sets to Greece six different times. All the time by Registered Mail and I even wrote 'numismatic item for collector' on the custom form. Never had a problem.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I was just reading this thread thinking ha-ha not my problem and dimitri stuck a winning bid on one of my coins....image

Time for a bit of undercover smuggling....
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm not joining the conspiracy to commit.. imageimage

Anyway.. just call them metal samples or some technical mumbo-jumbo... image
  • Options
    I sent one out to Dimitri last week, hope he gets it ok. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    We're all just a bunch of low-down criminals, I guess...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Smugglers the lot of you!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, once and for all image:

For low value coins,like those that I expect from cosmic,just a fluffy enveloppe (with duct tape please) will do.For higher value items,ALWAYS registered,but NEVER insured,or else the recipient pays 18% VAT +4% fees on the declared value.Fedex to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.Sl*bs are good: they don't feel like coins."Numismatic" is not exactly the best word to use,since it's a Greek word ; if needed,"samples" should do the trick.

I've never lost a package in the mail yet,to or from the States,except my giveaway from danglen image

Lloyd,you must be joking: I thought my bid was on the other Lloyd Roberts image Anyway,Great Britain is part of the EU,so parcels come through without taxes.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Got itimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I sent a coin to Greece in a padded envelope a month back with no customs declaration, got there fine in 6 days.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Safe-T-Mailers work fine and, in this case, just write "gift".
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

Global Priority Flat Rate mail costs about $5 and if the item weighs under a pound then you don't need to fill out a customs slip.

When I was in Greece last, they kept a real tight count of how much American money you could have. It used to be $100 a day was the Max you could get from the national bank. It had to do with keeping a reserve of US dollars on hand for importing oil. It might have to do with why they won't let you send coin or currency? Numismatic items??? Got me!

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Global Priority Flat Rate mail costs about $5 and if the item weighs under a pound then you don't need to fill out a customs slip. >>

I found out today that Greece won't accept Global Priority Mail (sorry, Dimitri) , so it has to be regular post. image
  • Options

They accept it in POLAND!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    Yes, they do accept it in Poland, Kahuna! It makes you wonder who's the third world country now...image No offense, Dimitri, of course!image GPMs usually get here within 2-4 days.

But Airmail should do fine and arrive within a week or so.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

<< <i>When I was in Greece last >>

How long ago was that Dabigkahuna?

Foreign exchange tight measures were necessary,in order to protect the drachma against inflation and attacks from US hedge funds.Once this was achieved,these measures were gone and your USD are certainly welcome now image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri,

Way too long! The president of Greece had been a professor at Cal State Berkley I think? Oh, and it was almost impossible to find a restaurant in Athens that broke dishes!image

I love the country and the people. I have never seen stars in the sky like the ones I saw when we slept out at Agamemnon's castle.

Greece is probably one of the only countries besides the United States where I would considering living. It reminds me of Southern California with about 10 million less people!

Now, Poland on the other hand.imageimageimageimage

I have some modern Drachma but I would love to own some ancient Greek gold.

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    So you're saying that Poland isn't highest on your list of places to live, huh?!! Well, from the point of view of the weather, I can certainly understand your position!!!! I"d love to have the weather of Greece in Poland, but I guess I'll just have to settle for a visit to Dimitri some day...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Fine with me! I'll charge you the friendly rate image

We no longer break dishes Larry! This idiotic habit,celebrated in films like the Zorba,has been illegal for the past 30 years.It's dangerous to the singer(s) and the public; they've been replaced by flowers instead. Only in Greek restaurants abroad plate-breaking is allowed,and these are also the only places where servants dance .No normal Greek citizen would ever consider to frequent a place where the personnel dances instead of serving image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Gee, isn't it sad when the natives lose that piquant old-world charm? image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>isn't it sad when the natives lose that piquant old-world charm? >>

So, does this mean that the Isle of Lesbos is just another tourist trap these days? imageimageimage

IN THE TRADITION OF BINGO GREENTOE, I'M OFFICIALLY HIJACKING THIS THREAD.

THE NEXT SEVEN POSTERS WILL GO IN THE HAT FOR A SILVER SWISS FRANC GIVEAWAY.
  • Options
    Good excuse Mac image : the natives lost nothing Askari. The custom of dancing and/or breaking plates degenerated severely from simple taverns that provided food and entertainement to the late night customers who would dance because they felt like it ,or because they were drunk , to a major ugly commercial version .The small nice places have been replaced by big places with a show and a star-system that has nothing of the initial charm; such taverns with music ,can only be seen in b/w movies of the 50s and 60s on TV reruns.

The custom of dancing was a result of the late-night eating and drinking,and there certainly NEVER were any "personnel" dancing: it was a privilege for the customer ,who had better know what he was doing or sit down.Owners of Greek rests abroad incorporated this ritual and offered it in a sad way,often in order to minimize the displeasure of the customers for the food : hence,my previous remark image

edited to add: drunk = after a bottle of scotch (minimum); ouzo and such light refreshments,are only consumed during daytime image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    What about ritual plate-breaking for important occasions like a traditional Greek wedding party?? My parents were treated to such a bash a few years ago when my sister in law's brother got married, and the Greek parents threw a very traditional party in their villa, with all the accoutrements, including much dancing and broken dishes of all kinds.... image It looked like a lot of fun; I missed out due to being in Poland. In any case, I understand the plate breaking tradition is alive and well.

imageimageimage

PS: Mac, you can just send me and Dimitri the Swiss silber, since we're the only ones to post...image
    .....GOD

• Options

WOW!

A Silver Swiss Franc or broken plates, Hmmmm! Im in please! image

Dimitri, how is spelled? Yasur!

Larry
    Dabigkahuna

• Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Dimitri, I guess I juiced you when I sent you an insured coin earlier this year? I used Global Express mail, can't remember if I put "numismatic" on the customs form...so I probably did that too.image I'm always at a loss mailing anything to places other than Canada or the US. The USPS website does have restrictions and prohibitions listed, and everytime I read there, I find out how limited our international mail should be.

Mac, you can save all the customs forms and just mail that Swiss franc here.image
    Joe
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    What can I say - I've yet to visit Greece image

Mac - Ignore that mongoose fella, mail that pretty Swiss miss up here to the great Midwest!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    There are no customs charges for coins or money to Norway..... one of the few things, very few, that come in free.

When I send something to anyone outside Norway I put on the cistoms tag .. Gift.... value. $1-2.00.

I air mail almost all of them.

This probably did not help with the question at all.......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Who cares if it helped or not Wayne? You've entered Mac's giveaway and that's all that counts image

Jester,when it comes to private occasions,it's an entirely different story (see "My big fat Greek wedding" for details image )

And Larry,you need lessons from danglen: it's yasou ,no "r" at the end, (not to be confused with Yasser or Yessir Arafat) image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>Who cares if it helped or not Wayne? You've entered Mac's giveaway and that's all that counts image

Jester,when it comes to private occasions,it's an entirely different story (see "My big fat Greek wedding" for details image )

And Larry,you need lessons from danglen: it's yasou ,no "r" at the end, (not to be confused with Yasser or Yessir Arafat) image >>

Givaway!!!!!!! I missed that..image. Did I get entered? What is it?
    I thought this was about posting coins to different countries.

I am getting too old.image

Edit to add: Mac "un-enter" me ( a new word). I did not mean to jump in like that...image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I've never lost a package in the mail yet,to or from the States,except my giveaway from danglen >>

Sorry Dimitri, wasn't aware you had not received it image PM me your address and we will try again image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    Sorry, Captain, you can't be "un-entered". You'll just have to suffer the fate of possibly winning one of Da Mouse's MS-68.5++ Swiss Misses.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ....and the winner is . . . . .

Farthing.

PM your shipping address to me, and I'll get the lady to you.

Also, Jester's a wee bit excited with the MS68.5 grade....... image

More like a nice 65 . . . I would save the 68+ treasures for auction or sale, if they were to be had!! image
  • Options
    Congrats, Farthing!

Mac, now you can save on all those pesky customs formalities, I guess.image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Dang I did not even realize you hijacked my thread until nowimage

Anyhow, Dimitri your gift of printed material is now it's way.image
    ( Yes they made me do a customs form )
    Bill