Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Time to revise Top 5 All-Time finest to Top 10?

Given the huge explosion in the number of Registry sets and the significant number of complete sets in many categories, would it make sense -- and give collectors something more to aspire for -- to recognize the Top 10 All-Time Finest on the front page rather than just the Top Five All-Time?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few categories where there aren't even 10 sets total, and others that have only a few more than 10. I think raising it, while possibly being of emotional benefit to the participants in those categories with a lot of sets, would be a detriment in those categories with few sets, because there would be a decreased sense of accomplishment.

The approach diminishes the achievement of those who have worked long and hard to claw their way in to the top. Too much like passing out more blue ribbons at a kid's track meet just so everyone can feel better about themselves.

I say leave it the way it is.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ. It is fine the way it is.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I see your points, well taken ... but, you could limit a Top 10 to those sets with a large number of complete sets, for example, where being top 10, say out of 50 or more, would indeed perhaps merit the recognition.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I agree, an all-time top 10 v. top 5 for those where there are a relatively large number of complete sets. Not sure what the right minimum number would be, but 50 seems like a good number.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Personally I think the CURRENT sets are more relavent & important than some set that may have already been broken up. Sorta like "that was cool but what have you done lately..." image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I believe that if PCGS is going to have an ALL TIME FINEST list it ought to mean something. The current listing IS the listing everyone who competes is being measured on. The all time finest list should be for REAL all time finest collections and not used the way it is being used by PCGS now. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I like the listing the finest all-time (5 or 10) set in addition to the current sets.

I recall HRH mentioning at the Registry lunch last August that he and others were working on adding other (e.g., pre-PCGS) sets as well (e.g., Eliasberg). He and others carefully examined the coins and took very detailed notes when such sets were sold at auction (in some cases many years ago).
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the Top 5 All Time finest. If your concern
    is with the number of sets out there, then maybe you should ask
    for more than 20 to automatically be displayed.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    I don't feel strongly about this. Currently I see the top 5 all time and the top 20 current finest. That more than fills up a screen, I have to scroll to see them all. So I guess I'm happy the way it is.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can quickly tell if your in the top 10 or not - I agree with Russ.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I might never have another top-five all time finest set, and someday I might be bounced out of the top-5 all time finest list... but with that said... leave it at 5. Five is a good number showing something special, and 10 might be too "common." cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    I agree with Russ and Alan.
    5 looks more "special".
    Leave it at 5

Edson
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I also agree leave it at five, and it should only include complete sets.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five is a nice round number. Besides if you look at the 5-10 sets, are they really special when compared to those in the top 5?
    Doug