Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half Instructional Series #6: 1950P Half Dollar

Franklin Half Instructional Series #6: 1950P Half Dollar.

This is the sixth installment of my instructional series on Franklin Halves. Each week (hopefully – but most likely every once in a while as I get to it) I will add an excerpt on one of the coins of the series, and hopefully those of you who are interested in Franklins will add your own observations and pictures. By the end of the series we should wind up with a pretty comprehensive study of the Franklin series, along with some nice pictures as well. And who knows, maybe some other folks will do the same for other series!

Sources for this series generally include “An Analysis of Gem Franklins” by Jack Ehrmantraut and “The Complete Guide for Franklin Halves” by Rick Tomaska – two books which I feel every serious Franklin collector should read

1950P

With a mintage of 7,793,509 this is the last of the “P” mint Franklins to sport as sharp a strike as it’s brethren of 1948 and 1949. By 1951 the master die started showing enough wear to make it noticeable that the design was starting to fail. Another interesting aspect of this coin is that in 1950, there were no mint sets made. With the re-introduction of proof sets into the coin market, the powers that be at the mint figured that collectors would want to buy proof sets and not be interested in mint sets. Well, as you know they were wrong, and mint sets came back in 1951. As a result of this action, gem 1950 coins can only be obtained from original rolls, thus making this particular date one of the few early Franklins which is easier to obtain in white, or slightly toned condition, as opposed to toned. Add this to the fact that you generally have a good strike on the coin, and luster runs average to above average, and you wind up with a coin which is a favorite of type collectors for it’s general overall pleasing appearance. This half generally has Full Bell Lines and original rolls will likely yield coins fairly devoid of bag marks, showing a clean cheek on the obverse and a clean bell on the reverse.

Current population numbers from PCGS read as follows:

MS63 and lower - 223 in non FBL and 53 in FBL
MS64 - 417 in non FBL and 642 in FBL
MS65 - 196 in non FBL and 553 in FBL
MS66 - 6 in non FBL and 100 in FBL
MS67 – 1 in FBL

The numbers show that this coin is relatively available in a variety of very collectable grades, and collectors will have a good choice of grade/price availability. For high grade collectors, the MS66FBL examples run about the same price as a good 1961 or 1963 which, though not cheap by any stretch, is still not in “moon money” territory. I would venture to say that the majority of MS64 and MS65 coins without Full Bell Lines are the result of ding marks on the bell, and as such, I would stay away from these and defer to a nicely struck and lustrous FBL example if you wish to get one for your type collection. For the series collector, I would go with either an MS64FBL or an MS65FBL. An MS64FBL specimen may run you somewhere between $75 and $100, while an MS65FBL will set you back a modest $150-$200. The MS66FBL will generally run in the neighborhood of $1,000 depending on eye appeal. Lustrous white and killer toned pieces obviously costing more than drab brown and grey pieces. For more information on this date you can look the coin up in the Coinfacts page, which also sites significant sales appearances over the past few years. This information can be found HERE. I will continue to post the COINFACTS site for reference, but I am in no way promoting their products or services.
A board member recently resubmitted and made the one and only 1950P in MS67FBL, but unfortunately does not have a picture available of it. Below is the 1950P from my collection, hopefully some of the other collectors will post their coins as well.

Happy collecting!

1950P in MS66FBl from the Birmingham Collection:

Comments

• Options
    Great Information and Post, Frank. Thanks for sharing. image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Good article Frank.
    The 50P has turned out to be one of the toughest coins for me to find in a really attractive toned MS65 fbl.
    As you stated, no Mint sets for that year. So, I have a really nice MS64-fbl as a place holder until a nicer one comes along. This one probably lived in an alblum for a while, and while the picture sucks, the coin shows more color. And the reverse, of which I don't have a pic, has a nice rainbow crescent.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A board member recently resubmitted and made the one and only 1950P in MS67FBL"

Frank: I believe you can see a scan of the coin on Heritage's site. It just sold in their last sale. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Frank, another nice write-upimage

... And congrats on breaking into the top ten with your MS Franklin set.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Excellent series Frank Thank you.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be Bop A Lula!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Excellent !! But it might make me start collecting them!! image

You know, Competition!! image
  • Options
    Fudude - thanks - but it's really hard to take any credit when the only reason you climb from #12 to #9 is because other people drop out of the registry! image

Jonesy - bring it on - we'll get you to see the light yet! image
  • Options
    Fudude - thanks - but it's really hard to take any credit when the only reason you climb from #12 to #9 is because other people drop out of the registry! And as we know the coins from those sets didn't just vanish ... at least several of them are in the mail waiting to be delivered to their new home ... at least 6 coins from the former #7 set fall have already been sold ... and there is at least one more change in the top ten coming next week, probably tomorrow night...image

Jonesy, we'll keep am eye out for you if you decide to you usimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    These posts are really educational. Thanks!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TTT, another of Frank's excellent posts for the night time crowd.
  • Options
    TTT
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continuing with updating Frank's tutorial post on Franklins, offering a bit more insight on toned Franklins, and providing pictures of quality toned coins for the date. The 50-P is one of the most underrated dates to find nicely toned. There were no mint sets issued in 1950, thus attractively toned pieces tend to come from album collections, occasionally finding an envelope toned coin. Most of the nicely toned coins I have seen of this date exhibit noticeable rim toning. The average toned coin will not exhibit much irredescence, rather mostly showing shades of gray.

This date is one that is more easily found brilliant. The 1950-P came nicely struck, with full luster, fairly strong dies, and less marks than normal. Perhaps collectors were happy with them that way, keeping them in rolls.

Personally, after many years looking, I have never found a 1950 coin that grades 66 with 'A' toning. This date is definately underrated, in the top 10 (or higher) toughest to find in my book.

Here is a PCGS 66FBL with colorful rim toning out of an album.

Here is another PCGS 66FBL that exceeds my photographic skills. Likely an album toned coin, it exhibits many different colors depending on how viewed and is quite exceptional for the date.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Ronyahski - Thanks for adding to and updating Frank's great series.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Hmmm. Great thread. jws
  • Options

In memory of Frank...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights