Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Too much for a shilling??

I picked up a British 1849 shilling recently. I paid more than Krause EF money. I do not have a scanner and I am not able to post a picture of the coin. I think the coin grades AU50 TO 53 by US standards and probably a straight ef by British standards. The coin is original, fairly well struck and attractive. I thought it was reasonable to reach alittle for a coin of this quality. How many collectors out there view 1849 as an underrated date for the early Victorian shillings? Any thoughts?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It lists for £95 in EF in the 2003 Spinks, those early Victoria Shillings are getting hard to find!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Finding any EF or better Victorian shilling pre 1881 is a prize these days.

1849 is one of the lowest mintages of the Victorian series, similar to the 1850. The 1850 has a valuation 10 times that of the 1849. Like with many Victorian issues, the mintage figures don't appear to tell much of the story of a coin's rarity.

For example, in the same year (1849), 205,920 sixpences were minted, but not one specimen has been found. Similarly, 601,920 sixpences dated 1861 were produced, but no one has found a single example.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • The mintage figures are bad guides since they obviously tell you how many coins were minted during a year but they don't say what dates were on them.

However, all these early shillings are hard work and the 49 is no exception.

L