Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Someone noticed my new icon...

and thought I should post about it here. I don't often post over here but I do read here.

It is not actually a world coin but it is based upon a Greek coin so I thought it would be appropriate too. image

Here is a link to the full coin.

RCC One Ember

It is actually a medal but on rcc, it is often called a token because it has a denomination.

Also on that page are links to info about the obverse and reverse as well as the history of how this token came about. I had only a very small part in that as I only suggested the Military Chalenge Coin maker that I knew of through my experience with MCC's but that is covered in the history link.

I think it is an interesting little piece of exonumia and I love that owl reverse as it appeared on the opriginals, the Greek Euros and other modern coins and on this coin/medal/token.
Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    The original Athenian Owls are stunning coins, as is your medal. I've always wanted one of the originals, but don't know enough about them to buy with any security.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Me either, although I would love to own a real one too.

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I believe that ICG does a good job of authenicating ancient coins. I'm looking for an ICG Athenian Owl.

As a side note, I just visited the St. Gauden's museum and inspected several books on ancients that were in his possession. It was interesting to note which coins he felt were particularly meretorious. He did not make copious notes in the books that he owned, but the notes that he did make were very telling.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Stujoe, it is a nice medal! Thanks for sharing with us.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Thanks for posting that over here, Stujoe!! I told you the folks here would like it. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I am glad you asked me to do it image and hope some did enjoy it.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the "new style" owl design, but there ain't anything new about it! I want to own some owl tetradrachms, but I will wait 'til the right one(s) come along, perhaps at the FUN show. I've wanted one so long that I want my first to be an especially nice one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I've wanted one so long that I want my first to be an especially nice one. >>

Now you sound like Cammy!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I've wanted one so long that I want my first to be an especially nice one. >>

Now you sound like Cammy!image >>

back in your box M..bad dog...bad!..image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com