Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

taking the chaff w/the wheat, or the bad w/the good.

At my coin club meeting last Sunday during the auction I saw one bag of 4 large coins. I wanted the bag for one coin in particular, a nice large silver Austria 1900 5 corona. Nice coin. As a bonus there was a 1948 ½crown in there too, needed in my collection of British. Next was a Mixican 5 peso coin, no big deal, take it or leave it. But, then came the chaff-the fourth coin was a *choke, gasp* churchill crown. *hanging my head in shame* What could I do? So, I bought it, a steal at $3.00 Canadian.
So many coins, so little money!
Ebay name: bhil3

Comments

• Options
    image Nice catch
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Can I join your coin club!?!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Pity the poor Churchill crown,
    a coin that everybody puts down!
    What did he do, lose the war?
    Did he not make our spirits soar?
    Was he not an inspiration
    to a sore and troubled nation?
    So who designed this-what's the name
    that made collector Bruce hang his head in shame?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Ah, our good Poet Laurenteate! image Still, Bruce, just imagine how much more you'd have had to pay for that bag if it did not have that ... "thing" ... in it. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    One of my local dealers had one on the shelf for the better part of a year. Only $2. Still couldn't move it. One day I asked him if I could just have it, and he gave it to me. So now I'm the proud owner of a free Churchill Crown. Yay!!

Beat that!

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe ol' Winny can help win yet ANOTHER war!! If everyone got their Churchill crowns together & donated them to the Iraqi rebuilding effort, ol' George W. Bush can finally withdraw our troops out of harm's way !! image
  • Options
    Great idea, DBS!!! Here's my inspiration -- We publish pictures of the Churchill Crown all over Iraq and warn the Iraqi guerrillas that if they don't immediately lay down their arms, it will become the design for their new coinage! Think that'll work??? imageimageimage
    Askari

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I don't know Askari; the iraquis are liable to ask for additional reparations. Why don't we rather have a world-wide Churchill Crown meltdown day, then when the value of the remaining few goes up, the Churchill crown will take a place of honor in the numismatic world.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    So much for "peace in our time," eh? image

Where's Historygeek? He's missing out! image
    Askari

• Options
    I like Askari's idea, threaten them with a churchill crown looking coin.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Boring but true: there were more Churchill crowns minted than the total mintage for ALL crowns from George III to 1965.

Coincraft put it best:

"There are no doubt many who would say that the beauty of the Churchill Crown increases in direct proportion to the amount of wear it has sustained".

L
  • Options

<< <i>Coincraft put it best:

"There are no doubt many who would say that the beauty of the Churchill Crown increases in direct proportion to the amount of wear it has sustained". >>

Ah, British wit's finest hour! image
    Askari