Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Evasion Coinage

I just ordered a few evasion pieces from the following Copper Corner

Evasion coinage, if anyone doesn't know, was a form of counterfeit. Since the majority of the population were ilitttaarrrrrattte the coins did well as counterfeits. However, if the forger was accosted by Plod (the law) he could claim he was just having a laugh and producing momentos etc.... Evasions were used widely in Great Britain and North America.

I'll post some pics here if and when the coins arrive. The items I ordered were:

Al-Fred/Briton's Glory. Choice EF $35
Colonel Kirk/North Wales. About EF $42
God Save the King/Be as you Seem to Be. AU--- $55

I only have one higher grade piece at the moment: a Hispanniola halfpenny. Cheap as chips at the moment.

Lloyd

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Lloyd, I look forward to seeing the "coins"!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very neat piece of little-known history! image Be sure to check out his British token history pages for other interesting info. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Askari
    It's a useful site. I haven't dealt with him before but I know his reputation. I figure if you collect British copper, or George III, these are useful and interesting collection coins. There's not many about in "high grade" since they were deliberately struck badly to fit straight into the monetary system and conceal portraits etc.... as were the "exact copy" counterfeits. Huge business between the UK and US and probably the first instance of international organized crime on a grand scale.

L
  • Options
    Lloyd, I'll say again that I like that sig coin of yours. But what did you do to it in the past hour??image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    He had to go and AT the dang thing, didn't he?!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    I'm going for US citizenship - got to get my collection in order first ........ It's like a car spray shop down here. Even the dog is rainbow toned....